Well played!

Hi guys,

How would one say 'well played' or 'good game'?

Context: at football, you come on as a substitute for someone and say 'well played' to the guy you are replacing.

I'm looking for something different to 'отлично!' or 'молодец!' perhaps something more 'slangy' if you catch my drift?

Thanks in advance!

• Saluton

Banned
    Russian
    There is hardly any specific slang for praising sportspeople. The phrase you're looking for might be Хорош!, Ты крут!, Отлично сыграл!, Ты лучший!, Молодчик!, Молодца! etc. I wouldn't use Отлично!, though, because it means "excellent" and the player you are substituting might think you're just saying you're glad to finally come out on the pitch. Mind the intonation in Хорош! because it can also mean "enough".

Lepus timidus

Russian
    I would add to this list that you could also say Молоток!, which literally means "hammer" but is also a slangy equivalent of Молодец!

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Thanks guys!

Молоток! - Love it!!

How would you say well played/good game to an opponent at the end of the game having defeated them? The same thing?
    Depends on the type of sport, same as in English.
    If it was grappling - I would say "nice rolling". Tennis players say "good game!".
    So, in Russian there have to be sport-dependent phrases for that.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Sorry, in football or on a computer game are the two I would need please.
    I take it by football you mean THE football, not what we here in the US call "football", right? :D

Football is a group game, so I'm not sure. During my childhood I played soccer with my playmates, and at the end of the game there was nothing really said, except about when the next game would be played.

I actually am not sure there is an accepted consolation saying when you really defeated someone.

In sports where you defeated someone who you're tutoring at the same time, like in sparring/rolling of a higher belt with a lower belt, there is no consolation phrases - just a praise for a good effort.

And the sportsmanship is not always that good.

PS. Actually, many phrases here I questioned from the very beginning, as none of them sounds to me as a "good sportsmanship" "good game!" type. Some of those you could say to a teammate as a praise, some are signs/slogans shown by fans to their favorite players, but I failed to see any ("молоток!" included) that actually is a "good sportsmanship" type.
    I did not participate in the discussion as I actually failed to come up with my own versions.

Last edited:

Saluton

Banned
    Russian
    Thanks guys!

Молоток! - Love it!!

How would you say well played/good game to an opponent at the end of the game having defeated them? The same thing?
    Молоток? Hardly.
    Отлично сыграл? Maybe.
    You may want to add всё равно - anyway: Всё равно молодец.

I actually am not sure there is an accepted consolation saying when you really defeated someone.
    There is none.

PS. Actually, many phrases here I questioned from the very beginning, as none of them sounds to me as a "good sportsmanship" "good game!" type. Some of those you could say to a teammate as a praise, some are signs/slogans shown by fans to their favorite players, but I failed to see any ("молоток!" included) that actually is a "good sportsmanship" type.
    That's because there are no Russian phrases that are used only in sports.

< Previous | Next >