Wellbeing, well-being or well being?

< Previous | Next >
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    English doesn't have definite rules for this - it is common for compounds to be written in each of these three ways. There is nothing to say one is better than another. One might be more commonly used than another.

EnglishLearner1990

Banned
    Persian
    Well-being: A feeling of being comfotable, healthy, and happy.
    Example:
    We try to ensure the well-being of our employees.
    Refernce: Longman dictionary

Myridon

English - US
    I think wellbeing is less common. I find wellbeing hard to read because of all the llllllls in a row - it looks strangely like wellloeing.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The WR (Collins) dictionary is British, and opinion seems to be split in the UK, while the US position is consistent.

From my own bookshelf:
    American Heritage Dictionary and Random House Webster's College Dictionary (also American): well-being
    Concise Oxford English Dictionary (British): well-being
    Chambers 21st Century Dictionary (British): wellbeing

My browser's spelling checker (American) says that spelling it without the hyphen is wrong.

oona22

English - Canada
    from the Grammarist website: In much of the English-speaking world, including in the U.K. and especially in Australia, wellbeing is usually one word, with no hyphen. Though the hyphenated form is older and remains acceptable everywhere, the one-word form has existed for several centuries and has grown steadily more common over the years. Today it is not questioned outside North America.

Copyright

American English
    I've been using "wellbeing" in all of the spa work I've written in Asia in the last couple of decades – why? because everyone else is doing it. :)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    That doesn't mean anything. They don't decide such things, they don't invent rules, all any dictionary does is record usage, and smaller ones like those just pick one and use that as an example. The other forms remain equally correct, as anyone at Oxford or Cambridge would tell you.

< Previous | Next >