Wells - in the sense of "welcome"

Nucleara

Well ,I feel like I've encountered only new strange words all these days. Today I found this, "wells", then I looked up in Urbandictionary. I came across the section where it says that "wells" can mean "welcome" .

A cool, short for saying welcome.

You can reply with "wells" instead of welcome or, to be extra formal: "you're wells".

Aakash: Thanks for making dinner!
Chef: Wells!
To me it sounds like a word that teenagers use , and maybe kind of slang. But why does it say "to be extra formal" ?

Thank you so much ! xD

• pops91710

English, AE
    I believe she means the entry found in Urban Dictionary was not genuinely serious, they were joking. I am not a hipster anymore and don't run around in the younger world, but I have never heard of wells as a short way to say welcome. UD is not an official dictionary and lacks a lot of credibility.

Nucleara

I have never heard of wells as a short way to say welcome.

UD is not an official dictionary and lacks a lot of credibility.
    Thank you pops: )
    This is the first time I use urbandictionary, because I've seen many people using it.

Please help me with this last question, so, does "wells" meaning "welcome" exist in the world ?

Thanks

suzi br

English / England
    I meant it was a joke to say that adding a word to a slang thing would make it more formal. Neither versions are formal, in any sense, and the writer exepcts the readers to know that .. and to smile.

suzi br

English / England
    Re the urban dictionary .. it is fun, and can help if other dictionaries do not clarify something you meet in youthful writing .. but in general it's not a great help to learners.

Unless you are very fluent it will sound really odd when you are struggling with other aspects of lexis and grammar and then add a smattering of this "new" stuff on the top!

Nucleara

Neither versions are formal, in any sense....

....Re the urban dictionary .. it is fun, and can help if other dictionaries do not clarify something you meet in youthful writing .. but in general it's not a great help to learners.
    Hello ! Thank you very much suzi: D
    Then, you mean that "wells" is used ? And wells/welcome are neither more formal nor informal than each each other, right ?

And yes, I think urban dictionary is a very good place to find slangs and abnormal words which couldn't be found in my dictionary, and of course I 'll never use urban dictionary to find any normal words in the world:p

ribran

English - American
    Thank you so much ! Could I ask more about how you use it ? And when do you use it ?
    I generally refrain from using it because it borders on the ridiculous, as does the broader trend among middle schools girls of pluralizing otherwise singular or non-countable nouns.

Let me get on the computer! I need to check my Internets!

Last edited:

Nucleara

I generally refrain from using it because it borders on ridiculous, as does the broader trend among middle schools girls of pluralizing otherwise singular or non-countable nouns.

Let me get on the computer! I need to check my Internets!
    I see. This has already come to the old topic of adding -s at the end of a word by teenagers ;)

Thank you so much ribran. And thank you so much to all replies !

< Previous | Next >