weltring in blood

< Previous | Next >

MidnightCharm

Spanish - Spain
Hi! I was reading The Castle of Wolfenbach by Eliza Parsons, and I found this word: weltring. Here's the excerpt:

What a scene presented itself! a woman on the bed weltring in blood!

My guess is the woman's body was covered in blood. I looked weltring up in some dictionaries, but I didn't find anything. What does it mean? I guess it's an archaic verb. Could it be used today?

And while I'm at it, the initial letter of the second sentence (a) is not capitalized. Is it a mistake or a typo, or was it possible to start sentences like that back in the 18th century?

Thanks in advance.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Welter" is an old word, but I'm surprised you couldn't find it in any dictionaries. Here's the applicable definition from the WR dictionary:

wel•ter1(weltər),
    v.i.
    1. to roll, toss, or heave, as waves or the sea.
    2. to roll, writhe, or tumble about;
      wallow, as animals (often fol. by about) pigs weltering about happily in the mud.
    3. to lie bathed in or be drenched in something, esp. blood.

The Newt

English - US
    The "e" in "welt(e)ring" has been dropped in this case, as was often done in older texts; the meaning is as indicated by Florentia. It's an uncommon verb today.

The lower-case "a" is just the editor's stylistic preference. We generally would use upper-case in that situation today.

MidnightCharm

Spanish - Spain
    Thank you both, Florentia52 and The Newt! I couldn't find the definition because I didn't know it came from welter.

< Previous | Next >