"were not allowed the leave the meeting venue"

< Previous | Next >

doraxblank

Hong Kong, China-Cantonese
Hi all, I was reading a news article and I come across a sentence that I'm not sure if it's grammatically right. So here it is:

"Members of the Council were not allowed the leave the meeting venue as protesting students flooded into the room. Billy Fung Jing-en, President of HKU’s Student Union, said that the Council has not been defending the interests of the university. Fung said that students will continue to disrupt future meetings in order to prevent “systemic violence”.

should it be "Members of the Council were not allowed to leave the meeting venue... " / 'Members of the Council were not allowed the leave from the meeting venue... " ?

The source is: https://www.hongkongfp.com/2015/07/...-pro-vc-appointment-two-members-hospitalised/

Thanks !

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, it's a misprint. It should read:

"Members of the Council were not allowed to leave the meeting venue as protesting students flooded into the room".

:)

doraxblank

Hong Kong, China-Cantonese
    Yes, it's a misprint. It should read:

"Members of the Council were not allowed to leave the meeting venue as protesting students flooded into the room".

:)

Thanks Donny B!
    How about "'Members of the Council were not allowed the leave from the meeting venue... " ? I wonder if it's correct since we can say 'allow somebody something' .
    thanks very much!

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    You can 'allow somebody something', yes - but I don't think that particular example would work: it sounds very stilted. :(

< Previous | Next >