were permitted to report

Inouez

Japanese - Japan
Hi

I just want to know the meaning of "were permitted to report" in below sentences.

All groups, including the Fore, who had almost no contact with Western culture, agreed on the portrayed emotions. The Fore also displayed familiar facial expressions when asked how they would respond if they were the characters in stories that called for basic emotional responses. Ekman and his colleagues more recently obtained similar results in a study of ten cultures in which participants were permitted to report that multiple emotions were shown by facial expressions.
<最新托福经典阅读练习详解:The Expression of Emotions-打印版式-.>

I know the meaning of the verb"permit".
to allow something:

Please help somebody to paraphrase this "permit" usage here.

Inouez

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Apparently, earlier studies had participants identify a single emotion: anger, disgust, happiness, etc. They might have had to choose one, if it seemed like both anger and disgust. In this later study, they weren't forced to choose; they could say it appeared to be both. A multiple answer was permitted.

Inouez

Japanese - Japan
    Hi entanglebank

Thank you for your explanation and now I understood.
    This is from English language test book, and I was able to detect the Japanese-translation error with the help from your suggestion.

Thank you again.

Inouez