Were you trying to give us a heart attack by sending us that picture

claupau

US
English and Spanish, US
Hi everybody,

I have a little problem and I hope that any of you can help me :)

I'm trying to translate a sentence for a friend and of course the translators give the vous form, normally I know how to change it into informal but this time I'm not too sure.

This is the sentence in English:

Were you trying to give us a heart attack by sending us that picture?

and this is what I get from the translator:

Essayiez-vous de nous donner une crise cardiaque en nous envoyant cette image?

I think that it's the verb être but I'm not sure and well I can't change it to the informal way...could please help me!

Thank you in advance :)

• friasc

Eng, Sp (USA)
    Instead of 'faire faire', can u say either of the following :

tu voulais nous faire avoir une crise cardiaque

or

tu voulais nous causer une crise cardiaque

I think 'causer' would sound slightly more medical/scientific, I'm not sure if 'faire avoir' is correct.

KennyHun

Hungarian
    So what's the final verdict? What's the most French-sounding familiar way of saying "to give someone a heart attack"?

Tu veux me donner une crise cardiaque ?
    Tu veux me faire faire une crise cardiaque ?
    Something else?

I'm not sure we can "donner une crise cardiaque."

I'd say " Tu voulais qu'on ait une crise cardiaque en nous envoyant cette photo ?"

Last edited by a moderator:
    Would you then say "tu voulais me provoquer une crise cardiaque" ?
    provoquer used like this is not right.
    You can provoquer quelqu'un, you can provoquer quelque chose, but not both in the same sentence.
    It's a case here of avoiding the pitfall, and saying instead something like :

J'ai failli avoir une crise cardiaque en voyant les photos que tu m'as envoyées, merci bien !

tartopom

French
    @ Seeda: I'd translate " un AVC" as ' a stroke', sth linked with the brain and not the heart.
    @ helene: To me "tu voulais me provoquer une crise cardiaque" sounds correct.

@tartopom

To me "tu voulais me provoquer une crise cardiaque" sounds correct.[/QUOTE]
    In spoken French, it is fine, I guess, I am sure I have used it myself. However, as it is grammatically incorrect, I would think twice before writing it down.

In this sentence, une crise cardiaque is a Complément d'Objet Direct, and me is a Complément d'Objet Direct as well, so there are effectively 2 COD in this sentence, which is... not acceptable or not in use. (I don't know how to put it, still looking for a set rule here.)

On peut provoquer quelque chose (une crise cardiaque?), on peut provoquer quelqu'un (une personne), mais on ne peut pas provoquer quelque chose quelqu'un.

I found the following thread, by someone who seems to know what they are talking about, but, he does not quote his sources!
    "La construction avec deux objets directs, l'un animé et l'autre inanimée, est résiduelle et rarissime en français." Found in entry 11, here

tartopom

French
    Thanks helene. Sorry for being as stubborn as a a mule but I think clapau's looking for an informal translation. Then, to me, " Tu voulais me provoquer une crise cardiaque" fits perfectly. :)

Chimel

Français
    je suis d'accord avec Hélène pour dire que la construction est boiteuse et appartient à un style très relâché, mais à mon sens ce n'est par ce qu'il y aurait un double complément d'objet direct: le me est ici un complément d'objet indirect, comme avec occasionner, par exemple. On dirait d'ailleurs très bien: occasionner un problème (et pourquoi pas une crise cardiaque...) à quelqu'un.

Il se fait que provoquer n'admet pas, en principe, un tel complément d'objet indirect, sauf dans des constructions pas très orthodoxes du registre familier.

Saints22

French & English
    tu voulais nous faire avoir une crise cardiaque :tick:
    To my poor Mauritian ears, this sentence sounds the most natural.
    To translate the Original OP I would like to go even further and say:

Were you trying to give us a heart attack by sending us that picture?
    Tu voulais nous faire avoir une attaque avec cette photo ou quoi?

< Previous | Next >