What a birth!

laluisi

Spanish
Hello all,

It's a pleasure to be a part of this amazing tool called WordReference!

My first post here is related to an expression that I have read in the text of an email. A colleague is saying that she is feeling so happy because, after a long process, we have been able to fix an important issue in our daily activities. She has written "What a birth!", and I wonder if she is trying to say that, as it was a hard and long process, it is great that finally we have been able to fix the problem. Could it be something like "ha sido el parto de la burra" in Spanish? It means that a process has taken ages to get ready, it's been so so hard and difficult to manage... but finally successful. I have seen a previous thread here related to this spanish idiom, but I'd like to better understand.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Marisa

• laluisi

Spanish
    Thank you very much for your answers! You're so kind and quick! hahahaha!

So perhaps we could say that the meaning of "what a birth!" in Spanish could be something like "¡por fin! / ¡al fin!"...

I'm happy that I was quite correct :)

scbarbara

English Great Britain
    I've never heard this expression used in English. Has anybody else heard it? I'd saysomething more like "What a palaver" meaning that was a lot of fuss

rosieg

England, English
    I've not heard this expression either. Perhaps it is not a common idiom at all. Still I can see how it fits, and is quite funny. Births by definition tend to be difficult. So maybe she is saying: that was so hard it was like giving birth, still we managed it/still we got the intended result. One might more typically say: That/It was like giving birth! If she wanted a common idiom to say how difficult something was she could use "It was like pulling teeth." But I think she meant something slightly different.

jilar

Español
    Thank you very much for your answers! You're so kind and quick! hahahaha!

So perhaps we could say that the meaning of "what a birth!" in Spanish could be something like "¡por fin! / ¡al fin!"...

I'm happy that I was quite correct :)
    O incluso
    ¡Menudo/pedazo/tremendo/vaya parto!

Por eso de mantener la idea de birth. Pero, sí, lo más normal y simple sería las que indicas ahí.

laluisi

Spanish
    Thank you all for your answers! Muchas gracias por ayudarme a entender a mi compañera.
    I have been able to clarify that the meaning is at least similar to our "ha sido el parto de la burra".

Great to be part of this forum!

< Previous | Next >