What about meeting and going out for a pizza next Saturday?

marcogaiotto

Italian
What about meeting and going out for a pizza next Saturday?(1)

Hello! Can you help me, please? I find that (1) is correct, but what about the following?
What about meeting and going out to eat a pizza next Saturday? (2)

Thanks a lot in advance!

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    It is grammatically correct, but I can't imagine anyone saying this. What else might you be expected to do with a pizza?
    Are you sure you want to know?

Seriously, marcogaiotto, I agree with U J. Also, I think there may be a slight clash of register; "How about getting together for a pizza/meeting up for a pizza..." would be a bit better.

Edit: After reading The Newt's cross-post, I agree: "a" is optional.

Last edited:

The Newt

English - US
    We would commonly drop the article and simply say "and go out for pizza..." But I might say "meeting up" rather than just "meeting."

Uncle Jack

British English
    We would commonly drop the article and simply say "and go out for pizza..." But I might say "meeting up" rather than just "meeting."
    I'd be more likely to include "a" in BrE, just like we go out for a beer. Although, I probably wouldn't go out and eat three or four pizzas in a single session. :)

The oddity for me in sentence (1) is "meeting". "Meeting" followed by "go out" sounds wrong to me. "Going out" makes it clear that we aren't staying in and getting a pizza delivered, so I think this is more important than saying that we're meeting:
    What about going out for a pizza next Saturday?​

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    "Meeting" followed by "go out" sounds wrong to me.
    I think I agree. When you meet up you've already "gone out" (unless you meet up at your or your friend's house).
    But I guess you can drop the "out": "Let's meet up at the Cock and Bull for a few jars and then go for a pizza at the new place round the corner from there."

< Previous | Next >