"What about you" <vs> "how about you"

< Previous | Next >

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. I am always confused about these two very similar-looking and sounding phrases, "what about you" and "how about you". Are they the same? Are they inter-changeable in most cases? When should I use one but not the other?

Context: "My favorite types of food? Let's see, I like Thai, French, Italian, and Japanese cuisines. How about you?"

Context 2: "My favorite types of food? Let's see, I like Thai, French, Italian, and Japanese cuisines. What about you?"

Thanks.

• Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I agree with Dale Texas that the two sound interchangeable, at least in this example.

panzerfaust0

mandarin
    So...they are inter-changeable in ALL cases? Or is there any situation you can think of in which they are not the same?

Thanks.

owlman5

English-US
    Neither question is an ideal formulation after the introductory sentences, panzerfaust. "What are your favorite types of food?" would fit the other words better.

Nonetheless, people do use "What/how about you?" in exactly the way you've suggested in that example. Like Dale and Hildy, I think both "what" and "how" sound completely normal in that question. At the moment, I can't think of any situation in which "what" or "how" would be the only word that somebody could use as the first word in that question. In every situation I can think of, either word would sound normal.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    "What about you!?" can be used very aggressively or angrily but that's a different case. It pretty much states, "Who cares about you!?" But "How about you!?" wouldn't mean the same thing, in my opinion. A lot of it has to do with habit.

Husband to wife: "Who's going to clean up this mess?"
    Wife to husband: "How about you!?" :tick:

"What about you!? would work almost as well to my ear. If you're being friendly I'd prefer "How about you?" These are minor differences, though.

< Previous | Next >