What are the antecedents of the words 'he'?

< Previous | Next >

Bhikkhu1991

Chinese
Hello,

I have recently raised the topic on an environmental campaign with Tom. He had spoken to the organizer that he was willing to participate to save the planet. However, the organizer objected to his decision because he had to take care of his ailing son. Sadly, his son was admitted to hospital. Tom also looked after his son. Later, after he was discharged upon request, he was continually taken care of by his family in the house until he died.

What are the antecedents of the underlined words 'he' in bold in the last sentence of the above paragraph, please?

I am confused whether the words 'he' are referring to the ailing son or the father Tom and who had actually died. I would like to know, in your opinion, whether some specific words can insert into the sentence or sentences to clear any confusion of the words 'he'.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.

With best wishes.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I have recently raised the topic on an environmental campaign with Tom. He <Tom> had spoken to the organizer that he <Tom> was willing to participate to save the planet. However, the organizer objected to his <Tom's> decision because he <either Tom or the organizer> had to take care of his <either Tom's or the organizer's> ailing son. Sadly, his <same> son was admitted to hospital. Tom also looked after his <same> son. Later, after he <the son> was discharged upon request, he <the son> was continually taken care of by his <the son's> family in the house until he <the son> died.

This is not very well written.
    There are other peculiarities apart from the obvious confusion caused by proliferation of "he" with multiple antecedents.

< Previous | Next >