What did/do you think of the party?

< Previous | Next >

Amber_1010

Chinese-Cantonese
Hi!
Please tell me what you think about this.

Sam and I attended a party last night. But we didn't get a chance to talk. Now, we are sitting in the classroom, waiting for the teacher to arrive. I say to him....
1. What did you think of the party?
2. What do you think of the party?

I think both are grammatical. But 1. is more idiomatic. I think native speakers tend to use past tense in this case, because we want to know how you felt when you were at the party. We're more likely to refer back to the past.

What do you think?
Please comment!

Thank you.

• tepatria

Canadian English
    Hi!

Sam and I attended a party last night. But we didn't get a chance to talk. Now, we are sitting in the classroom, waiting for the teacher to arrive. I say to him....
    1. What did you think of the party?
    2. What do you think of the party?

I think both are grammatical. But 1. is more idiomatic. I think native speakers tend to use past tense in this case, because we want to know how you felt when you were at the party. We're more likely to refer back to the past.
    Thank you.
    I agree with you. Most natives would use the past tense.
    I don't agree with dubitans first answer. You would not ask What did you think of the party? while it is still going on. What do you think of the party? would be used.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    1. What did you think of the party? - What did you think of the party last night, when it was in full swing?

2. What do you think of the party? - What do you think of the party now, looking back at it?

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I can imagine saying "What do you think of the party?" during the party, but not after it's ended.

Talking about it the next day, I might say:
    ..- - "What did you think of the party?" (assuming nothing has happened overnight to change Sam's opinion, so what he thought is what he still thinks);
    or -
    "How do you think the party went?"(which leaves no doubt at all that I'm asking about what he thinks now).

Ws:)

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I agree with Wordsmyth.

What did you think of the party? - asking another person's opinion after the party has ended, for example next day.
    What do you think of the party? - You are at the party when asking the question.

< Previous | Next >