What did you do in Korea?

xiaokyao

chinese
What did you do in Korea?
A friend went to Korea last week. I asked her 'what did you do in Korea?'
I know the sentence itself is correct. I just feel it's not colloquial.
Can you please let me know how you would say this? How about' what were you up to in Korea?'
Thank you!

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I would never say "What were you up to?" or "What did you get up to?" In AE both those imply inappropriate behavior.

I agree "What did you do in Korea?" sounds a little odd, but only a little, and only because it repeats "Korea". I might say "What did you do on your trip?" or "What did you do there?"

Or I might jump into more detailed comments like: "Where did you go in Korea? What did you see? Did you take lots of pictures? Were you on a tour? Did you visit Korean friends? How long were you there? Wow, that's exciting. What's it like there? Does anyone speak Engish? Did you visit Seoul? You have to tell me everything!"

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I would never say "What were you up to?" or "What did you get up to?" In AE both those imply inappropriate behavior.
    I agree that in BE, too, those could carry that inference, but it would be obvious from the context and/or the tone of voice if that were the case.

But to me, "What did you get up to?" sounds a perfectly natural informal way of asking a friend what he/she did on holiday.

< Previous | Next >