What dish <could you cook best>?

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Someone told me he can cook many dishes. I wonder if the question is natural to ask what dish he cooks is the most tasteful?

What dish could you cook best?

Thanks a lot

• Packard

USA, English
    i would say 'What's your best dish?'
    I might say the same thing, but I think I would ask, "What is your favorite dish [that you prepare]?"

On the assumption that the cook would think his best was his favorite.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    I beg to disagree, Packard.

"favorite" means "one likes most". If I asked someone who told me he could cook several dishes "What's your favorite dish", he might answer the dish he likes eating best.

So, the assumption is possible but there's also a possibility that one's favorite dish is not the dish he cooks the best.

Packard

USA, English
    I beg to disagree, Packard.

"favorite" means "one likes most". If I asked someone who told me he could cook several dishes "What's your favorite dish", he might answer the dish he likes eating best.

So, the assumption is possible but there's also a possibility that one's favorite dish is not the dish he cooks the best.
    I agree. But I think a cook will believe that his favorite dish is the dish he cooks best, based on his preference.

Myridon

English - US
    In your original sentence, "could" indicates that there is some condition (you could cook it if X) or that you no longer can (you could cook it in the past but now you can't). The simplest fix would be to change "could" to "can" or "do."
    What dish could you cook best (if today was Wednesday, if the sun was shining, if you had the ingredients)? :confused:
    What dish do you cook best? :tick:

< Previous | Next >