What do you call a guy's gab which is very appealing for girls?

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
Hello,

What do you call a guy's gab which is very appealing for girls?

Talkative? I'm looking for a more informal word.
How can you replace the word "gab" in the above sentence?
Talk? Still, I'm looking for a more informal word.

Thanks!

• AngelEyes

English - United States
    Use "rap" instead of "gab"....
    There are many ways to say this, but one very well-known AE one is:

His gift for gab is very appealing to the girls.

Others:

His smooth way of talking attracts the girls.
    He's got a line that works every time.

It depends on how slangy you want to be.

AngelEyes

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
    I'd like to describe this "human characteristic" with a simple term.
    Ok I'll try to make up a context.

Lucy: How was yesterday's party, Meg?
    Meg : It was awesome, I met a guy, and his gab\rap\talk was unbelievable, he was so cute, and I think I'm in love.

How would you parahrase the above conversation?

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
    That is somethin what I'm looking for Angel!
    So was "gab" idomatic in the context I'd given?
    Thanks,

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    I don't like gab. It sounds really old fashioned to me. Except in the set phrase "the gift of the gab".

How about "he was such a smooth talker, and so cute. I think I'm in love!"

Loob

English UK
    I can only think of phrases, not single words, that would fit in your sentence, Egoexpress.

I wouldn't use "gab" - I've only heard that in the expression "gift of the gab" ("gift of gab" in AmE); though I believe "a person's gab" was possible in older varieties of English.

I'll leave Prometo to comment on whether "rap" would work in AmE.

EDIT: I like NZF's suggestion!

ewie

English English
    I'm not so sure about smooth talker ~ I always associate it with insincerity and the type of chap who uses his talk to (ahem) get his evil way with a lady.
    It may be a bit old-fashioned (again) but how about He was such a charmer?

Loob

English UK
    I'm not so sure about smooth talker ~ I always associate it with insincerity and the type of chap who uses his talk to (ahem) get his evil way with a lady.
    Yes, but that's the sort of chap us girlies find attractive, ewie.

If memory serves me well.

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
    I guess you wouldn't say "he's got big a gab" meaning he is a smooth-talker,would you?

ewie

English English
    I certainly wouldn't say that, Ego ~ it sounds far too much like He's got a big gob, which in my part of the world means he's got a big mouth, he's a loudmouth or a bullshitter.

In fact like my BE colleagues I wouldn't use gab at all.

Loob

English UK
    No, we wouldn't, Egoexpress, as ewie says:D

I suggest you delete "gab" from your vocabulary book, except in the expression "gift of the gab"!

Loob

English UK
    Why should you delete "gab" from your vocabulary book except in the expression "gift of [the] gab"? Because we're all saying that we only use it in that expression...

What else could you use? That's what we're trying to work out in this thread:D

domangelo

United States English
    I think that smooth talker, smooth operator, charmer would all work in this situation. As for the gift of the gab, I don't see it as being related to pick up lines at all. If a person gabs, it seems that they just talk aimlessly.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I'd like to describe this "human characteristic" with a simple term.
    Ok I'll try to make up a context.

Lucy: How was yesterday's party, Meg?
    Meg : It was awesome, I met a guy, and his gab\rap\talk was unbelievable, he was so cute, and I think I'm in love.

How would you parahrase the above conversation?
    Now that I've read this exchange, I wouldn not say "smooth talker."

American women don't have the mindset that would find that attractive. You're looking for a compliment. That's a slam against an insincere playboy-type, in my opinion.

I'd use "his sweet, witty way of talking was unbelievable..."

That's a guy women swoon over, want to get close to, and want to take home with them.

A smooth talker is nothing but a teflon zipper. (A person with man-parts that nothing of substance sticks to.)

This is my feminine opinion. :D

AngelEyes

NancyDunn

USA, English
    I'm not sure that any of our suggestions would work well for a teenager's description. I believe, from the rest of the sentence, that you're after some simple and youthful way to describe this unbelievable guy's flirtatious chatting.

Meg: ...I met a guy, and we talked for hours, it was unbelievable. And he's so cute. I think I'm in love.

OR

Meg: ...I met a guy, and he started flirting with me right away; it was unbelievable. And he's so cute. I think I'm in love.

OR

Meg: ...I met a guy, and he can talk about anything, he's unbelievable. And he's so cute. I think I'm in love.

For a truly colloquial suggestion from someone in the right place and the right age group, you might have to post a request that's targeted more specifically to those demographics in the forum.

I think Angel Eyes is on the right track, though. (BTW: Angel Eyes, you are a woman of parts.) Women and girls respond to attentiveness; thus my suggestion about "talking for hours." Often there's a lot of joking and teasing that's part of the flirtation of the young. So you often hear girls saying things like "he was soooo funny" to describe a guy who successfully flirted with her.

I'd say such a successful flirt would be charming, or that his conversation was diverting, but I'm pretty sure a girl Meg's age would not speak that way.

Good luck,
    Nancy

< Previous | Next >