What do you call this? [cardboard cutout]

< Previous | Next >
  • entangledbank

    Senior Member
    English - South-East England
    Basically it's a cardboard cutout. That could be any size, so this is a life-size cardboard cutout. I didn't know the name for the ones where a space for someone's head is cut out, but I googled for cardboard cutouts, and they seem to be called stand-in cardboard cutouts. Here in London you might see a Beefeater or a Horseguard (or Paddington Bear) to stand with.


    Senior Member
    USA, English
    I agree with Entangled.

    There are full-sized versions and we call them "life sized cardboard cutouts". The ones that stand up on their own are called "standee". Cutouts of Donald Trump are popular right now.


    Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    For the versions with the face/head cut out, I think it is normal for them to be of plywood rather than cardboard.

    I've seen terms like 'face-in-a-hole board' or 'head-in-a-hole board', for example here:
    DIY face in the hole board
    < Previous | Next >