What do you expecting today?

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello.
I've been watching a Sky Sports News report from UEFA Euro 2012 game between Ireland and Croatia in Poznan, Poland (held last June). The Sky News reporter was asking Irish fans the following questions:
What do you expecting today? ~Seven points for Ireland.
He also asked these questions:
What do you think?
What do you expect?
What kind of game are you expecting?
And again:
What do you expecting?

Did the reporter make a slip of the tongue? :confused:

• Biffo

English - England
    I think you mis-heard "What're you expecting today?"

The sounds are very similar in British English (the 'r' is not sounded).

Last edited:

wolfbm1

Polish
    I think you mis-heard "What're you expecting today?"

The sounds are very similar in British English (the 'r' is not sounded).
    No. I can hear the "d" sound after 'what."
    (Google: "sky sports news" + " Irish partying in Poznan")

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    I've just watched the clip, wolf. The reporter says "What are you expecting?" and "What do you expect?" He doesn't say :cross:"What do you expecting?";).

Egmont

English - U.S.
    If the interviewer really said "What do you expecting today," then the interviewer made an error in English. It happens. In the U.S., it happens fairly often among sports reporters. They are chosen for their knowledge of the sport and often for their reputation as players in their younger years. Their English has to be good, but perfection (with no errors ever) is not required.

Biffo

English - England
    The first time, he pronounces it as "Whad're you expecting." He is simply voicing the 't'. He is English so he does not pronounce the 'r'.

"Whadda you expecting?" == "What are you expecting?"

Later he misses out the 't' and uses a glottal stop "Wha' are you expecting?" twice. Then he repeats "Whad're you expecting."

Biffo

English - England
    If the interviewer really said "What do you expecting today," then the interviewer made an error in English. It happens. In the U.S., it happens fairly often among sports reporters. They are chosen for their knowledge of the sport and often for their reputation as players in their younger years. Their English has to be good, but perfection (with no errors ever) is not required.
    Really? Have you listened to the clip Egmont? It is clear what he says. I don't believe the most ignorant native speaker would say "What do you expecting?" It just isn't English. Only a non-native could make that sort of mistake.

Loob

English UK
    The first time, he pronounces it as "Whad're you expecting." He is simply voicing the 't'. He is English so he does not pronounce the 'r'.

"Whadda you expecting?" == "What are you expecting?"

Later he misses out the 't' and uses a glottal stop "Wha' are you expecting?" twice. Then he repeats "Whad're you expecting."
    I was just about to add something to the thread to say that what wolf was hearing was the reporter voicing the "t" of "What" - when I saw that Biffo had already done it.

I'm a slow thinker and an even slower typist:eek:.

wolfbm1

Polish
    I was just about to add something to the thread to say that what wolf was hearing was the reporter voicing the "t" of "What" - when I saw that Biffo had already done it.

I'm a slow thinker and an even slower typist:eek:.
    Thank you, Loob. :)

< Previous | Next >