What do you have? = What's wrong?

KalAlbè

American English & Kreyòl Ayisyen
Can you use the verb have in your language to ask someone what is wrong or if they are okay?

Spanish:

¿Qué tienes? (informal) What's the matter?

Haitian Creole:

Kisa w genyen? What's wrong?

Brazilian Portuguese:

O que você tem? (Written) O que que você tem? (Spoken - shortened version of O que é que você tem?)

Last edited:
  • DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French, as in other Romance languages, one way of answering does include the verb "avoir" (have):
    "Qu'est-ce que tu as ?" (literally: What do you have?)

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    The West Slavic languages use the reflexive 'to have oneself':

Czech: Jak se máš? (= How are you?, literally How do you have yourself?), a common answer: Mám se dobře (lit. I have myself well).
    Slovak: Ako sa máš?
    Polish: Jak się masz?

For the English speaking people the phrase is known as Borat's greeting Jagshemash.

If we anticipate something bad, we ask:

Co je s tebou?
    (= lit. What is with you? - so no 'have')
    Co je to s tebou? (= lit. What is it with you?)

Last edited:

apmoy70

Greek
    Greek does that too, when we see someone sad or ill we ask:
    «Τι έχεις;» [ti ˈe.çis] --> what's wrong? or are you ill/sad?
    «Έχεις» [ˈe.çis] is 2nd p. sing. Present indicative active of «έχω» [ˈe.xɔ] --> to have

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    Same for Sardinian, we can use the verb "Hàere" or "Tènnere" like Spanish.

It'has? (what do you have?)

or

Ite tenes? (what do you have?)

spindlemoss

Welsh
    There isn't a word for "have" in the Celtic languages so instead you use "be" along with a preposition e.g. Welsh Mae gen i gar / Mae car gyda fi "I have a car" lit. "There is a car by/with me".

So when you ask "What's wrong?", I guess we use a similar contruction - "be" + preposition e.g. Beth sy'n bod (arnat ti)? "What's wrong (with you)?" lit. "What is being (on you)?".

SuperXW

I'm not sure if Chinese fits the question, but here it is:
    有事吗? "Have thing?" = Is there anything?
    有问题吗? "Have problem?" = Is there any problem?

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    Catalan:
    Què tens? (What do you have?)
    In Catalan, as it has been said for the other Romance languages, it can also mean "What's the matter with you?"

The reason may be that, while in English one IS hungry/thirsty, hot/cold, afraid, X years old, etc, in the Romance languages one HAS GOT those things (I have hunger/thirst, I have heat/coldness, I have fear, I have X years, etc). So "what have you got?" can clearly be referred not only to possessions, but also to more untouchable concepts.

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    The reason may be that, while in English one IS hungry/thirsty, hot/cold, afraid, X years old, etc, in the Romance languages one HAS GOT those things (I have hunger/thirst, I have heat/coldness, I have fear, I have X years, etc). So "what have you got?" can clearly be referred not only to possessions, but also to more untouchable concepts.
    In Italian, Sardinian and Corsican you can use both (I don't remember in French if it's the same).

Italian
    Ho fame (I have hunger) -> Sono affamato (I'm hungry)
    Ho sete (I have thirst) -> Sono assetato (I'm thirsty)

Sardinian
    Happo fàmene (I have hunger) -> So famídu (I'm hungry)
    Happo sìtis (I have thirst) -> So sitídu (I'm thirsty)

Corsican
    Aghju fame (I have hunger) -> Socu famítu (I'm hungry)
    Aghju siti/sete (I have thirst) -> Socu assitatu (I'm thirsty)

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    In Arabic: ما لك maa-lak "What to you"-->"What do you have"-->"What's wrong with you"-->"Why do you .../How come you ..."

For example, maa-lak saakit "What to you, remaining silent"-->"Why are you so quiet?"

Armas

Finnish
    Finnish:

Mikä sinulla on? = What do you have? / What's wrong with you?
    Mikä sinulle tuli? literally means "What came to you?" but it too means "What's wrong with you?", only it means there was a change from being OK to something being wrong.

Compare:
    Minulla on jano "I have thirst" = I'm thirsty
    Minulle tuli jano "To me came thirst" = "I became thirsty"

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    In Italian, Sardinian and Corsican you can use both (I don't remember in French if it's the same).

Italian
    Ho fame (I have hunger) -> Sono affamato (I'm hungry)
    Ho sete (I have thirst) -> Sono assetato (I'm thirsty)

Sardinian
    Happo fàmene (I have hunger) -> So famídu (I'm hungry)
    Happo sìtis (I have thirst) -> So sitídu (I'm thirsty)

Corsican
    Aghju fame (I have hunger) -> Socu famítu (I'm hungry)
    Aghju siti/sete (I have thirst) -> Socu assitatu (I'm thirsty)
    Yes, that also exists in French (je suis affamé/assoiffé), and in Catalan (estic afamat/assedegat), Spanish (estoy hambriento/sediento), etc. But they are far from being as common as j'ai faim/soif, tinc fam/set, tengo hambre/sed. Except for those quick translations or dubbings from English originals, in which they show up more frequently than they should.

Frank78

German
    Can you use the verb have in your language to ask someone what is wrong or if they are okay?
    In German, yes:

"Was hast du?" (What do you have?) - but it can only be used if you suspect someone is not feeling well or has problems, not as general enquiry like "How are you?"

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: we could say it, certainly in Belgian Dutch, but it does not seem that common, and only when someone is behaving in a very strange way? May it implies: do you have some kind of disease, or are you suffering from it?

< Previous | Next >