What do you make of all this?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Laurajean, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Laurajean Senior Member

Spain spanish
    HI.

I was reading an article about a alleged haunted house. The article says things as it was so cold in the house despite it was summer and it was hot outside, a person heard estrange voices in the dark and all those kinds of things that they suposed to happen in those houses. well, at the end of the article you were asked:

What do you make of it?

I think the question mean what you think about all it. but, is there any diference between asking, What do you think of it and what do you make of it?

why do they use " what do you make of it?" instead "what do you think of it?"

thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    What do you make of it? is asking 'How do you interpret it?' rather than asking your opinion.
    Un saludo.

3. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    "What do you make of it" is a commonly used sentence. It's just the way people talk, there's no special reason.

It's like saying "what did you learn from it". "how do you understand it"

4. RonSavage Senior Member

English-US
    Sí, estoy de acuerdo con las respuestas de WanderingJJ y micafe. En contexto el narrador se pregunta: "¿Crees que hay alguna veracidad en la teoría que el lugar está embrujado?, o quizás pienses que hay alguna manera de explicar todos los eventos sin invocar los seres sobrenaturales.

5. Laurajean Senior Member

Spain spanish
    could you put some examples of when using, what you make of it?

thanks

6. RonSavage Senior Member

English-US
    Hi,
    A Detective walks into a complex and bloody crime scene, he turns to his trusted analyst and says "What do you make of all this?"
    A mother and father walk into their child's room which is normally cluttered with clothes and baseball cards and finds it's completely clean. The mother turns to the father and says "what do you make of this?"

Here I've used "all this" and "this" in place of "it" because I think that is more common, but the idea is pretty much the same.

To interpret: It's like asking "How would you explain this?", "How can we put the pieces together to make sense of this?"

7. Laurajean Senior Member

Spain spanish
    Thanks a lot Ron. Now I understand why they asked it that way