What do you think about vs. How do you think about

kikkoman

Chinese
Hi guys, I am trying to figure out what the difference is b/w "what do you think about..." and "how do you think about...". Is there anyone who can elaborate on it a little bit? I really appreciate that! Thanks!

• JamesM

Welcome to the forum, kikkoman.

"What do you think about..." sounds natural and normal to me. "How do you think about..." doesn't. It would be different if it were "How do you feel about..." or "How can you think about...", but "How do you think about..." doesn't sound natural, in my opinion.

Please give us a complete sentence as an example when asking a question. This requirement is part of our rules here and it often clears up misunderstandings quickly.

kikkoman

Chinese
    Thanks so much, James, and also sorry for not providing a complete sentence. Acutally, it bothers me all the time when I ask for others' opinions about something.

Your answer is really helpful. Thanks once again!:)

sendintheclowns

Norwegian
    Hi guys, I am trying to figure out what the difference is b/w "what do you think about..." and "how do you think about...". Is there anyone who can elaborate on it a little bit? I really appreciate that! Thanks!

I think in most cases you would use "What do you think about ..."

For example:
    - What do you think about this war?
    - I think it is terrible.

But sometimes, if you want to probe into someone's thinking process more, "how do you think about ..." may be appropriate.

As in:

- How do you think about this war?
    - I think of it metaphorically, as a struggle between good and evil.