What does "a really uncomfortable place" dictate in this context?

< Previous | Next >

Lipinghe

Korean - South Korea (Republic of Korea)
CONTEXT: In the book Good Omens, there is a scene indicating that every man wearing a coat with a fur collar who feeds the ducks in St. James' Park must have been a secret agent who is willing to meet clandestinely each other. It implies if you are feeding the duck alone in the park, you will be regarded as a secret agent who is waiting for meeting with another agent. This idea is used in the one fan fiction of Good Omens, and in that text, Crowley, who is suffering from a bunch of secret agents assuming that he must be a M15 agents, said this to the agent:

"...I am here to feed the ducks!"
Crowley waved the bag with an impressive amount of threat for what was only stale crumbs.
"Unless you'd like them to be retrieving bread from a really uncomfortable place, I suggest you go away."
Looking sulky, the man wandered away.

- 100 Things Crowley Would Do Before the World Ended written by shewhoguards, fan fiction of Good Omens

I thought the sentence means "Unless you want them to retrieve bread from a really uncomfortable place, I suggest you go away", but I don't know exactly what "a really uncomfortable place" dictates in this context. Does it mean the park or the place where the agent is standing? Could you please explain it to me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • LanguageUser1234

Banned
    English U.S.
    Um, no. I think that it is a rather rude threat. Unless I'm misreading it, Crowley is threatening to insert the bag of crumbs into a delicate part of the other guy's body unless he goes away.

Lipinghe

Um, no. I think that it is a rather rude threat. Unless I'm misreading it, Crowley is threatening to insert the bag of crumbs into a delicate part of the other guy's body unless he goes away.
    I absolutely didn't think it means that! Considering this fanfiction's genre, humor, I think you totally understood what Crowley said. Thank you so much for explaining it to me. But sadly, for my poor understanding of English, I have an one more question; What does "them" dictate in that sentence? When I looked at it first, I think "them" means the ducks.

LanguageUser1234

Banned
    English U.S.
    "Them" are the ducks. The idea is that having the birds retrieving the bread crumbs from the delicate part of the body may be even more unpleasant than having them placed there in the first place.

Lipinghe

"Them" are the ducks. The idea is that having the birds retrieving the bread crumbs from the delicate part of the body may be even more unpleasant than having them placed there in the first place.
    Thank you so much for giving me the detailed explanation Jeff! :D

< Previous | Next >