What does an outright championship mean?

Noon2501

Arabic-Egypt
Hello,

Context:
"He was in his senior year, was the team's leader, and left that meeting to lead the team to 12 consecutive wins, and outright Big Ten Conference championship, and a Sweet 16 appearance in the National Tournament."

Book: Unstoppable
Author: Dave Anderson

Question:

I looked up "outright championship" and this is one of the results that came up after a little search. I just need some explanation with this term in the mentioned context. The author here is talking about an outstanding player and mentioning some of his achievement as shown above. What does it mean that he led the team to and "outright championship"?

Thanks!

• lingobingo

English - England
    Your link doesn’t seem to have much, if anything, to do with your quote?

He was in his senior year, was the team's leader, and left that meeting to lead the team to 12 consecutive wins, and outright Big Ten Conference championship, and a Sweet 16 appearance in the National Tournament.

I take the word championship in that text as being meant not as the name of a competition but in the sense of “being champions” (in the same way that citizenship = being a citizen).

Noon2501

Arabic-Egypt
    oh, I see. So could this mean that the word "outright" here is used in as an adv. like the meaning mentioned in:

outright

to mean that the player led his teammates to become champions straightaway?

< Previous | Next >