What does Hafenbecken (noun) mean?

< Previous | Next >

alc112

Argentina Spanish
hi!!
How are you?
I looked it up in my dictionaries but i could not find the meaning in spanish. The text:
Die 4. Stadt ist auch ein Bundesland; sie liegt an der Mündung eines bekannten Flusses in die Nordsee. Ihr Hafen mit seinen vielen Hafenbecken ist 16 Kilometter lang.

I know the translation of the text. I just don't know how to say in spanish Hafenbecken, my teacher doesn't know too.

It does not matter if you tell me the meaning in enlgish, I can ask in General vocabulary then.

Danke schön

• Liana

German
    Hola,

acabo de consultar mi diccionario.

La traducción para Hafenbecken es "zona porturaria".

Saludos
    Liana

gaer

US-English
    alc112 said:
    Muchisimas gracias!!!
    Hafenbecken, das: ein H. von zehn Meter Tiefe ausheben; es war das erste Schiff, das seine Ladung in dem neuen H. löschte;

That's talking about two different things. One is something that is "excavated", I think to be 10 meters deep. The other is about the first ship to "unload" its cargo in (at) the new "Hafenbecken", so from context, I'm guessing Leo's definition of "port", "port basin" may be right. But I don't know what "port basin" means.

Unfortunately, I don't know what "zona porturaria" means.

You may find this link helpful, though it is for German and Englsh:

http://dict.leo.org/?lang=de

Good luck!

jurgmurger

England
    gaer said:
    Hafenbecken, das: ein H. von zehn Meter Tiefe ausheben; es war das erste Schiff, das seine Ladung in dem neuen H. löschte;

That's talking about two different things. One is something that is "excavated", I think to be 10 meters deep. The other is about the first ship to "unload" its cargo in (at) the new "Hafenbecken"
    It is the same thing. You have to excavate the H., since ships tend to have a keel and they need some water under that :) .

so from context, I'm guessing Leo's definition of "port", "port basin" may be right. But I don't know what "port basin" means.
    Go to Google image search. The pictures should give you an idea ;) .

gaer

US-English
    jurgmurger said:
    It is the same thing. You have to excavate the H., since ships tend to have a keel and they need some water under that :) .

Go to Google image search. The pictures should give you an idea ;) .
    Thanks, jurgmurger. Are you new here? If so, welcome. :)

Gaer

< Previous | Next >