what does hook up mean?

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
Guys I'm sorry to bug you with a lot of questions. These days I study more than 7_8 hours that's why I ask a lot....I'm confused about the meaning of (hook up as a verb)
In the TV show (how I met your mother)Ted's gf were supposed to call him 4 hours ago but she didn't.

#Ted: where are you? Why haven't you called?

#her gf: I'm out hooking up with three other guys
Does this mean trying to meet them? Or dating? Or related to sexual?
One more question: < Second question needs its own thread. Cagey, moderator. >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Siavish. We've had many questions about the meaning of "hook up" in here. Here is a link to the page for "hook up". If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll find many threads that discuss "hook up" and what it means.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It's difficult to know which meaning of "hook-up" is intended.

However, her claim to 'hook up' with <3> other guys is improbable no matter what the meaning, so she is probably being sarcastic. I suspect she intends Ted to understand the most shocking meaning and of 'hook up' -- have sex with.

The intention -- as I understand it -- is to show Ted how ridiculous it is to act so suspicious of her.

Edited to correct the number of guys. Cagey.

Last edited:

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Thank you, I'll take a look. but by any chances will u explain what a (romantic relationship) or (date sb) is?

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    It's difficult to know which meaning of "hook-up" is intended.

However, her claim to 'hook up' with 4 other guys is improbable no matter what the meaning, so she is probably being sarcastic. I suspect she intends Ted to understand the most shocking meaning and of 'hook up' -- have sex with.

The intention -- as I understand it -- is to show Ted how ridiculous it is to act so suspicious of her.

Thank you Cagey.....I think hook up the most confusing word I've come across .. ...as you said she is being sarcastic and it can mean she had sex

Cagey

English - US

Cagey

English - US
    It is very difficult to understand the meaning of words when they are used sarcastically -- because they often are intended to mean the opposite of their usual meaning. In this case, she wants Ted to realize that she couldn't possibly hook-up with 3 other guys, and that is not what she was doing.

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    It is very difficult to understand the meaning of words when they are used sarcastically -- because they often are intended to mean the opposite of their usual meaning. In this case, she wants Ted to realize that she couldn't possibly hook-up with 3 other guys, and that is not what she was doing.
    Thanks, actually when they have this conversation Ted's gf realizes that he's headed to another girl's place to meet her up. She may think she's being cheated.
    And that's why told Ted that to tick him off

Thank you for your help. This is a great website. I wish I'd got to known this sooner