What does Roger think <about a couple of investigations from his company’s past>?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Tenacious Learner, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Tenacious Learner

Tenacious Learner Senior Member

Spanish
    Hi teachers,
    Text:
    Roger wants to write a book about some of the interesting investigations from his company’s past. He thinks that one or two of the investigations would be good material for a novel or even for a suspense movie.

I know that # 1 is correct, is # 2 also correct according to the text?
    1. What does Roger think that his company’s past investigations can provide? He thinks they can provide good material for a novel or even a suspense movie.
    2. What does Roger think about a couple of investigations from his company’s past? He thinks they are good material for a novel or even a suspense movie.

Thanks in advance.

2. dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    Are you asking about the grammar of #2, or if it is "correct" in some other way?

In terms of content, I would not use either of these very wide-open questions. In each example, your second sentence gives a single answer, to a question that has many correct answers. That doesn't make much sense, as a pair of sentences.

1. If Roger is smart, he thinks these investigations can provide:
    - material for a novel
    - insights into human nature
    - training for new employees
    - valuable lessons in business ethics
    - many other things.

2. What does he think "about" the investigations is even broader: he has certainly had at least 50 different intelligent thoughts "about" them, not one.

3. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Thanks for your interest and explanation, dojibear.
    I'm asking about the meaning in context. I want to know, if the questions can answer what he thinks about writing a novel or a suspense movie, but as you've said they are very wide-open questions.

TL

4. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    I would say that you should avoid sentence 2. "What do you think about ...?" asks for general opinions and impressions, not for something very specific.

5. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Thanks a lot for your help, Glen. Then #1 is not that wide-open, is it?

TL

6. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    Sentence 1 is fine.

Dojibear's criticism is legitimate, but presumably the instructions for your exercises say something like "Drawing on the information provided in the text ...".

7. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    You are very right! :thumbsup:

TL

8. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    If the instructions allow this:
    Does Roger think any of the investigations would be good material for a novel?
    then it would be a better answer.

9. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    I also appreciate your interest, Myridon.

TL