What does "self-regeneration as loss as self-regeneration" m

sisse nar

Korean
This is from "Tri-stan" by D.F. Wallace.

""That is to say," the covert Codependae spells it out behind A.M. Nat's multichart pitch to the three ancient Stanleys whose guise she'd used to dybbuk Nar in the first place, composing thus her own insidious loop, unseen, "that S-NN will purvey myth & compel-share by purveying myth about the transmogrification of 'timeless' myth into contemporary camp-image. A whole new kind of ritual narrative, neither Old Comic nor New Tragic - the sit-trag. Pure Legend: about itself, legend, theft, repetition, eternal return, self-regeneration as loss as self-regeneration. A kind of cosmic outtake, Gods flubbing lines, cracking up, mugging at cameras." Etcetera.'"

What does "self-regeneration as loss as self-regeneration" mean?
Little hint would be helpful.

• owlman5

English-US
    This is weird language, sisse nar, so it doesn't surprise me that you find some of it confusing. So do I.

I suppose that "self-regeneration as loss as self-regeneration" means this: The ritual narrative regenerates itself. That regeneration results in some loss for the ritual narrative. This loss, in turn, causes the ritual narrative to regenerate itself yet again.

If you get tired of trying to figure this language out, you can always turn to this simple explanation: D.F. Wallace is just making things up because they sound cool or interesting.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Self-regeneration seen as loss, which loss can in turn be seen as self-regeneration. Please don't ask what that means. "Sit -trag" cracks me up. :)

​cross-posted with owlman, whose version sounds plausible to me.

< Previous | Next >