what does "sprites" mean to Agnes Scott College

Flora8850

Chinese-English
Context:
Today, we celebrated our one hundred and thirtieth commencement and our 2019 graduating class of over 200 #Scotties, now officially transitioned to #alumnaehood! Congratulations to the Sprites! (Source: https://twitter.com/agnesscott)

I'm not sure the meaning of "the Sprites" here. Does it mean all the students who are going to graduate from this college? As far as I know, Scotties, as a nickname of Agnes Scott, can refer to students at Agnes Scott. But what's the difference when they called their students" Scotties" or "Sprites"?

Can anyone help me out? Thank you!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Sprites, as an English word, doesn't have any meaning in relation to education. (They're a kind of legendary being, and a kind of meteorological phenomenon, and a way of doing computer graphics.) With a capital letter there, it looks like the name of a (sports?) team. You would have to look up the college's website to see if they have a team called the Sprites.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I got curious and looked it up. The Scotties are their sports teams; students in general are apparently also called Scotties. The Sprites are the class of 2019.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Apparently, every graduating class at Agnes Scott has their own specific nickname.

This is from a Google search, but unfortunately, the page itself doesn't load.

2015. The Tinkerbelles. 2016. The Muses. 2017. The Lions. 2018. Rosie the Riveter (the Riveters). 2019. The Sprites. 2020. The Visionaries. 2021.

It's a tradition I haven't heard of at any other college.

Flora8850

Chinese-English
    Apparently, every graduating class at Agnes Scott has their own specific nickname.

This is from a Google search, but unfortunately, the page itself doesn't load.

2015. The Tinkerbelles. 2016. The Muses. 2017. The Lions. 2018. Rosie the Riveter (the Riveters). 2019. The Sprites. 2020. The Visionaries. 2021.

It's a tradition I haven't heard of at any other college.
    Many thanks! Your answer is clear and correct.

Flora8850

Chinese-English
    Sprites, as an English word, doesn't have any meaning in relation to education. (They're a kind of legendary being, and a kind of meteorological phenomenon, and a way of doing computer graphics.) With a capital letter there, it looks like the name of a (sports?) team. You would have to look up the college's website to see if they have a team called the Sprites.
    Thanks.

< Previous | Next >