what does "the abacus of party "mean?

xinyi1356

Chinese
Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    I would want to know more before interpreting, but I'll mention that it's "the abacus of party thought."

Because this line is followed by numbers, it sounds like Mr. Xi would be adding his own bead (opinion) to the device that represents party thought.

JamesM

The paragraph starts with "Chinese Communist slogans do not count if you cannot count by them." In the introductory paragraph there is this statement: " But his newly unveiled theory—the “Four Comprehensives”—faces similar difficulties." The author is making a playful (?) reference to counting on an abacus in relation to these doctrines that have numbered points in them.

I agree with Copyright that it is the "abacus of party thought", a new numbered system of points to outline an initiative or doctrine.

wandle

English - British
    It is a metaphor. The writer has been struck by the number of party slogans that involve numbers: the four As, the six Bs, etc. etc.
    He has decided to make this a theme of his article and is dragging in as many metaphors of number as he can think of.

'The abacus of party thought' is pretending that there is an abacus (counting frame) on which all party policies are based, and that that is why all the rules and slogans are expressed in numbers. It is a way of satirising (making fun of) the party's simplified method of propaganda.

< Previous | Next >