What does this "jerk" mean?

< Previous | Next >

Htmx99

Japanese
I read this dialogue below. Does this verb "jerk" mean something like doing fast? Your help would be great. Thanks in advance!

A: That's what you gotta do though. Do the whole routine as slowly as you can. Don't jerk it. Slowly. Trust me. That's
what you gotta do to get killer pecks.
B: I don't know, I like jerking it.
C: I like jerking it too.
A: I used to jerk it all the time. But do I, or do I not, have killer pecks.

• Copyright

American English
    To jerk means to make a quick, somewhat uncontrolled, movement. By moving the same bar slowly, you have control over the bar at all times, and it makes the entire exercise more difficult (and therefore more beneficial to building up your pecs). It's pecs, as in pectoral muscles, rather than pecks, like kisses on the cheek. :)

What is the source of this dialogue?

Htmx99

Japanese
    Hey Copyright! Thank you again. You helped me a lot. This is from a silly horror comedy movie. The speakers are like members of football club in high school boasting about their muscles...

Copyright

American English
    The reason I asked is that there's so much "jerking," they could also be using a discussion about weightlifting techniques to also refer to masturbating, e.g. jerking off, jerking it (your penis). :rolleyes:

Added: Correcting two typos.

Last edited:

Htmx99

Japanese
    The reason I asked is that there's some much "jerking it," they could also be using a discussion about weightlifting techniques to also refer to masturbating, e.g. jerking off, jerking it (your penis). :rolleyes:
    I see. It might be possible... no it must be! My problem is that it's really hard to translate these kind of double meanings into Japanese.

Copyright

American English
    I see. It might be possible... no it must be! My problem is that it's really hard to translate these kind of double meanings into Japanese.
    I'm sure it is because I wouldn't imagine Japanese has just one word for these two meanings.

cubaMania

Weight lifting has its own set of technical terms for particular movements, including "the clean", "the snatch" and, yes, "the jerk." It is a specific way of lifting a barbell overhead, and does, indeed involve rapid movement. Most likely that is what they are talking about.
    There is also a newer technique for lifting called "Super Slow" which claims that slow, controlled movement is more effective in building muscle than traditional weight lifting methods (such as "the jerk".) Most likely that is what person A is advocating.

Copyright

American English
    That's what they start out talking about, but then there's this rapid exchange.

B: I don't know, I like jerking it.
    C: I like jerking it too.
    A: I used to jerk it all the time.

Given that this is a "silly horror comedy," I imagine there is more to it than weightlifting talk.

Htmx99

Japanese
    Thank you both! High school students with a lot of muscle but no brain are talking this on the bus. There are cute cheerleaders sitting in front of them. Can you imagine what kind of movie this is? haha. I truly appreciate both answers. Thank you very much indeed!

< Previous | Next >