what had stuck in his craw

< Previous | Next >

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

What does craw mean in the following phrase and passage? It's from Julian Barnes's collection of short stories The Lemon Table.

" 'Marriage is a question of what you can get away with,' said the ringleader, and the others had nodded in agreement. This wasn't what had stuck in his craw, however. It was when the fellow had gone on to explain -- or, more exactly, boast -- how he'd taken up with an old girlfriend, someone from back before he'd met his wife."

Thank you!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I have no idea what a craw is, as it only occurs in this expression and the like: 'it sticks in my craw' = it annoys me; I can't accept it. I imagine it to be something like a throat, possibly of an animal, but I've never looked it up. *does so now* Yes, the crop of birds.

susanna76

Romanian
    Thank you both! Have not seen that meaning of crop for a while and -- when I looked up craw -- thought it meant number of birds hatched in one year. But I guess that meaning of crop works only with mammals? The dictionary, though, says animals, and birds are animals, too.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Birds have a crop, animals have a stomach. The commoner use is craw = crop (of birds); the older use (I suspect obsolete) can refer to an animal's stomach.

susanna76

Romanian
    Thanks, PaulQ! I was asking about crop as meaning litter. Does it work to mean "birds hatched in one year" in the case of birds? Here's the dictionary definition:
    The total number of young farm animals born in a particular year on one farm: ‘failure to observe sound practice leads to a lamb crop at weaning of around 50–60 per cent’

And what you're referring to, and what is relevant to craw is this definition:
    A pouch in a bird's gullet where food is stored or prepared for digestion: ‘the parent waxbill partially digests food in its crop’

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >