what have you done today?

< Previous | Next >

lingkky

chinese
There is a sentence found on the Web. It makes me confused in the grammar.

What have you done at school today?

Of course this sentence is considerror correct.I wonder why "today" used in the sentence with past participle tense? Is that time marker accepted in the use of past participle?

• owlman5

English-US
    The present perfect is a remark about the present that is linked to something that happened earlier. If that earlier time refers to a time earlier in the day, there is nothing strange or wrong about using "today" together with "What have you done?"

london calling

UK English
    Yes. If the day is not over when I ask this question 'What have you done at school today?' is considered correct. That said, many of us will use the past tense (myself included).

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You're in school, talking to one one of the pupils:

I see you've been painting lovely pictures. What else have you done/been doing in school today?

If the child has just come home from school, I would certainly use the simple past tense. (The school day is over.)

lingkky

chinese
    OK. It seems that time marker can be used.

But why the sentence below is wrong?
    I have went home yesterday. (Wrong)
    I went home yesterday. (Correct)

owlman5

English-US
    "Have went" is wrong by itself, lingkky. "I have gone" is normal.

Remember that the present perfect is a remark about the present that is linked to the past. "Yesterday" doesn't make sense in a remark about the present moment.

I think you'll learn more quickly about how to use the present perfect if you visit a grammar website that discusses English verb tenses. This will be much quicker and more efficient than posting random questions in the forum about verb tenses.

Ivan_I

Russian
    You're in school, talking to one one of the pupils:

I see you've been painting lovely pictures. What else have you done/been doing in school today?
    What tense is the pupil supposed to use answering? Past simple or Present perfect?

lingobingo

English - England
    It depends on the exact situation, but probably the simple past would be appropriate for explaining most of the things you’d done the same day (but were not doing now).

Ivan_I

Russian
    It depends on the exact situation, but probably the simple past would be appropriate for explaining most of the things you’d done the same day (but were not doing now).
    OK. But how could Present Perfect be justified as a tense used for answering the question?

lingobingo

English - England
    The present perfect would only be used for something the child had been doing right up to the moment of speaking. For example: We did such-and-such this morning, but I’ve been painting all afternoon.

< Previous | Next >