What/how/when/where + to infinitive

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
Hi

Some days ago, a learner wrote:
When to use "US" and when to use "USA"?

A native speaker said this isn't how the question is asked; it isn't an English construction. Instead you should say:
When is "US" used and when is "USA" used?:tick:

My question is: does the same rule apply to "how", "what" and "where"? I mean, are the following incorrect too?
Eg.
How to use gerund in English?
Where to eat when you don't want to eat homemade food?
What to do when you're off work?

Thanks much.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It seems that you have fallen into the trap of thinking that every piece of advice is an absolute rule. Mostly, it is guidance for the particular context.

My question is: does the same rule apply to "how", "what" and "where"?
    please read the line above: there is no "rule".

But, equally, you have given no context for why you have written three phrases rather than three full sentences.

Could you give the context in which your three examples might be used? :thumbsup:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Some days ago, a learner wrote:
    When to use "US" and when to use "USA"?
    What did he mean by that? Did he mean it to be a question? Then it is wrong since it is not a sentence. It could work as a title, or a part of a sentence: I'm going to show you when to use "US" and when to use "USA".
    The same applies to how/where/etc.

Barque

Tamil
    My question is: does the same rule apply to "how", "what" and "where"? I mean, are the following incorrect too?
    Eg.
    Yes.

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    These are unacceptable constructions in English texts or conversation.
    They can be found as titles and headlines.
    You gave no source for the first which contains another unrelated mistake. What is the source? We need to know. None sounds authentic.

They are not grammatically correct questions in any context other than headlines or book titles. The reason for that is that they have no finite verb, so they aren't sentences. As Paul and Vic comment, they are phrases.

There's now no reason for this thread to grow to 25+ posts like yours usually do.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

"Thanks much" is not correct English. You need to ask separately about that.

You need to stop telling us to read your posts again. We are not your students! Even with 'pretty please' it suggests that we are a bunch of nitwits. and it's especially rude when the misunderstanding is yours.
    You did not give valid context for your quotes, if that's what they were, or proposed self-made sentences, if that's what they were.
    End of.:(

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    I thought there was no need for the context, because the meaning is clear from the sentences. But I was mistaken. :oops:
    I'm very sorry for not providing the necessary context.
    Here is a little explanation of what I mean by my sentences.

How to use gerund in English? -> In what way we can use gerund?/How can we use gerund?

Where to eat when you don't want to eat homemade food? -> I don't want homemade food. I'm not sure what place (restaurant/hotel) I should go to and have meal. My wife cooks very bad. I don't like the food she makes. Therefore I need to go out to have meal, but I am confused about choosing the restaurant.

What to
    do when you're off work? -> When a person has a holiday from his job, what should they do? For example, I am a teacher. Today, I'm off work because the school is closed today. I am confused about what I should do. Reading books at home? Sleeping? Visiting relatives? Going out with friends?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >