What <humans do not know? / doesn't a human know? >

pirpirik

Russian - Azerbaijan
Hello. This is my first post here. I would appreciate if you can advise me which of the following (underlined) questions are grammatically correct.

1. - What humans do not know?

- The immensity of their capabilities.

2. - What doesn't a human know?

- The immensity of his capabilities.

This question will be in a dialogue I am translating. Which one is the most correct to use?

Thanks beforehand.

• owlman5

English-US
    I prefer "What doesn't a human know?", but both versions are grammatically correct and both seem to mean the same thing.

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. If you use "What humans do not know", you should probably drop the question mark after "know". This title really isn't presented in the form of a question, so the question mark is strange.

If you use "What doesn't a human know?", you are clearly asking a question in the title and the question mark makes sense. You can turn the first version into a question if you need to: What don't humans know?:thumbsup:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Pirpirik! :)

1. - What don't humans do not know? [Order must be reversed, as you did in #2.]
    - The immensity of their capabilities. :tick:

2. - What doesn't a human know? :tick:
    - The immensity of his capabilities. :tick:
    Like Owlman, I prefer the second from a graceful writing point of view. On the other hand, I'm bound to object to the "his", not being a "he" myself. ;)

pirpirik

Russian - Azerbaijan
    Thanks a lot. I have just argued with one of the translators regarding the correct version. Glad that second version is the most advised.

Parla, gender aspect was omitted due to the context))

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >