"What in the name of Aaron Burr's slapping glove?" - what does it mean?

Moniqqe

Polish- Poland
Hello,

so, as you can see, I am watching one episode of Penguins of Madagascar and just heard "What in the name of Aaron Burr's slapping glove?" (one penguin, Skipper, used as an expression of being surprised). Have no idea what is he talking about... Anybody can help me with it's meaning? Saw something on wikipedia, but it didin't help at all. Im very curious what does it mean and especially if i can use it in my thesis.

Thanks,
Monika

• Juhasz

English - United States
    Aaron Burr was a famous duelist (that is to say, he famously dueled with and killed Alexander Hamilton). In films we often see people challenge others to duels by slapping them in the face with a glove. The glove used for such a purpose could be called a slapping glove (it's not ever called this, since it would be pretty unlikely that a person would have a glove whose sole, or main purpose was to be used for slapping - this is meant to be humorous).

heypresto

English - England
    No, I can't see you watching one episode of Penguins of Madagascar. :confused:

'What in the name of XXX!' is an idiomatic way of expressing surprise. You can put more or less anything where I've put XXX.

I see Juhasz has explained the Aaron Burr reference in this instance.

I wouldn't use it in a thesis.

Juhasz

English - United States
    Yes, I realize now that "what in the name of __" was probably the real question. Oh well.

Moniqqe

Polish- Poland
    Thank you both very much, now everything is clear and I found very good example of cultural reference that can cause problems in translation :)

< Previous | Next >