What is a noun of "third party singular form"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by dittielight, Aug 19, 2009.

  1. dittielight New Member

    I am teaching my little sisters and brothers English in a language school, my students asked me such a question as " what is a noun of the third party singular form"?

    From the grammar book, it says that noun in its third party singular form can be followed by is/was/has/verb +s/es in the normal present tense. But the book
    seems to only define the third party singlar form as "she, he, it", but in practice, is/was/has/verb+s/es are applied after uncountable nouns, singular form of an accountable noun, so i think the current grammar book at hand is doing
    a connoting job that it should be:

    a third party singular noun/pronoun includes:

    any accountable nouns in its singular forms

    any uncountable noun

    she/he/it/that/this or any pronouns in singular form

    But this above is merely my conclusion about this concept, i wonder if

    anyone here can correct, add, suggest and improve or do not buy into it?


    Dieter from Nashville, TNN of US
  2. dittielight New Member

    the third party, should be " third person" so to correct ! blushing..
  3. entangledbank

    entangledbank Senior Member

    English - South-East England
    In addition to (i) countable singular nouns, (ii) uncountable nouns, and (iii) personal pronouns 'she', 'he', and 'it', there are also many other words traditionally called pronouns, such as 'this', 'that', 'everything', 'nothing', which are always singular. Some can be singular or plural depending on what they refer to: Mine is red, yours is blue. Mine are red, yours are blue.

    Edit: I'd forgotten proper nouns - nouns like 'John', 'London', 'Helen', 'Volvo'.

    Traditionally pronouns were considered a different class from nouns, and the traditional noun class only included (i) and (ii).
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. dittielight New Member


    Oh, thanks, i will include them

Share This Page