What is a punter?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
English-Ireland (top end)
To my amazement, I see that punter hasn't appeared in WR before. I know it's off-topic, but it is important to be clear that chat-up and punter come at opposite ends of the spectrum of pre-sexual social interaction.
A customer or client; a member of an audience or spectator; specifically, the client of a prostitute.
(OED)

<This thread has been split from the thread about chat up HERE >

• river

U.S. English
    I thought a punter was an amateur or someone who is feeding you a line, but apparently it can also be a John. I suppose "feeding someone a line" goes with "chatting someone up."

mamboney

English (USA)
    The BBC has a slang dictionary on their website & I found this definition for punter there:

"a paying customer or audience member. Essentially, one who is part of the regular classes."

Since I am a junior member only, I wasn't allowed to post the URL- sorry!

It appears that a punter (among other things) may also be just a 'regular Joe', or 'one of the masses' in American slang.

By the way, should this conversation re: punter have been started as a new thread? I'm still getting the hang of this & am not entirely sure of the etiquette...

<Mod edit.
    You're absolutely right mamboney - so I have split these posts to form a new thread.
    Panj
    Mod>

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    :eek: I should, perhaps, confess that the definition I quoted above was entirely the most appropriate definition in the context of the chat-up and punter conversation.

It is, however, definition #5 of 5 in the OED.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Panj,

I thank you for teaching me a new meaning. I had thought it meant a better in BE, while in AE it is a kicker in American football.

To punt, in the college slang of my day...long away and far ago...meant to give up on something, to cancel or abbrogate an attempt.

cheers,
    Cuchu

mamboney

English (USA)
    Ciao Cuchu,
    Just in case you were interested, the "punter" conversation actually started in the "chat up" thread from a bit earlier.

And by the way, I like your definition - it makes a great deal of sense to me. When I'm watching a football game (usually only happens by force) & a team punts I think, "they're just giving up! why don't they go for it?!!"
    :)

< Previous | Next >