What is an "ace" ?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    A person may be called "Ace".

Ace has other meanings as well. It the dictionary definition doesn't answer your question, please give us the sentence in which you heard it, the one that made you interested in its meanings.

We always need a sentence at least to answer a question. (And it's a rule. ;))

kranfuhrer

Russia - russian
    A person may be called "Ace".
    It's a person's name or nickname ?

Ace has other meanings as well. It the dictionary definition doesn't answer your question, please give us the sentence in which you heard it, the one that made you interested in its meanings.

We always need a sentence at least to answer a question. (And it's a rule. ;))
    I asked this question because someone refers to one of the forumers as Ace (not in this forum). But his forum name is not Ace so I asked a question.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Ah, yes, good context. :thumbsup:

An 'ace' is someone who is very good at something. As a compliment, we might refer to someone as 'Ace', meaning that the person has done something very well, such as explain something that no one else could explain.

JamesM

It can also be used ironically to mean someone who is showing off. It can also be used ironically to mean that someone is doing particularly poorly at something and being the opposite of an ace.

This is why we need context.

timpeac

English (England)
    It can also be used ironically to mean someone who is showing off. It can also be used ironically to mean that someone is doing particularly poorly at something and being the opposite of an ace.

This is why we need context.
    In which case it could be short for "ace hole";) ("ace" sounding a lot like "ass")

JamesM

It can also be used to be falsely chummy, to indicate that the person is taking liberties or making presumptions of friendship or belonging to a group.

It's a complicated word, in my opinion.

< Previous | Next >