What is arch in this text? and liver-coloured bitch pointer?

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
The floor was of smooth, white stone; the chairs, high-backed, primitive structures, painted green: one or two heavy black ones lurking in the shade. In an arch under the dresser reposed a huge, liver-coloured bitch pointer, surrounded by a swarm of squealing puppies; and other dogs haunted other recesses. -From Wuthering heights-

Hi.

I can't possibly draw a picture in my mind of what the underlined part of the quote would give natives speakers any sense to do it.

What is an arch? and bitch pointer? The novel is known to be written about 200 years ago.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    For the arch under the dresser, you need to imagine a very large piece of wooden furniture with lots of shelves for plates and kitchen utensils at the top, a surface for setting things on, and lots of drawers underneath.
    This is the dresser.
    There is quite a big space underneath between the legs of the dresser, and there is an arched surround to this space. That is where the bitch and her pups were.

It might even have been something like THIS.

< Edited to remove non-functioning link. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonz8

English
    In Wuthering Heights- on page 11 in my book, she referces to something called a , "bitch pointer". I came to this page, someone felt some-what ruffled by it, posted something- it was very help full.
    We are talking about a dog people.
    I really do like this site, not sure if I trust it, but it'z the internet- who knows.
    The information waz great, for the record.

envie de voyager

english-canadian
    Welcome to the site, dragonz8.

This site is used by people learning to read and write in English, so proper spelling and punctuation are mandatory here.

In Wuthering Heights- on page 11 in my book, she (referces) refers to something called a , "bitch pointer". I came to this page, someone felt (some-what) somewhat ruffled by it, posted something- it was very (help full) helpful.
    We are talking about a dog people.
    I really do like this site, I'm not sure if I trust it, but (it'z) it's the internet- who knows.
    The information (waz) was great, for the record.
    Feel free to post again in the future whenever you have a question, or would like to answer someone else's question.

Abhjeet Pratap

Hindi
    Liver colored pointer bitch - A deep brown colored female pointer (evokes the image of a pretty furious dog). This is the leader of the herd whose fury Lockwood rouses by mistake. Next is the dresser that sits atop an arch or whose lower part has been given the shape of an arch under which a pointer can sit comfortably.

< Previous | Next >