What is CAPISCE?

< Previous | Next >
  • Not being

Vietnam
    CapiscI means do you understand in correct Italian, but as it's not standard language in this case, capiscE is written, I guess.
    And capsicE ending with e is not another conjugation in Italian of You polite form, when it's kind of daily conversation like the one mentioned OR third person indication here.

Just to add some modest knowledge of mine. Hope it helps somehow :)

PS: I remember my English teacher talked about this usage after watching Gang of New York.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    According to the OED, capisce derives from:
    Italian capisce, 3rd person singular present indicative of capire to understand.
    My very limited understanding suggests that this is also used as the formal 2nd person singular.

Elwintee

England English
    According to the OED, capisce derives from:
    Italian capisce, 3rd person singular present indicative of capire to understand.
    My very limited understanding suggests that this is also used as the formal 2nd person singular.
    I believe the AE pronunciation in gangster films and such like is often "ca-peesh", but of course the correct pronunciation is "ca-pee-sheh/shih".

Q-cumber

Capisce is an Italian word that initially became popular in English in the 1940s, popularized by Italian immigrants in America's eastern cities and by use in onscreen portrayals of Italian-Americans, often in organized crime rôles.
    It means "Get it?" and comes from the Italian verb capire, to understand. It is commonly mispelled and mispronounced, and has been rendered in English as "coppish," "capeesh," and "kapish," among other variations. Confusion about its meaning is memorably recorded in an episode of The Simpsons, in which a hardboiled supermarket security guard appends it to a warning to Bart.
    "Wikipedia English"

< Previous | Next >