What is "ch-ching"?

< Previous | Next >

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
Hi people!

I'm new here and I'd like to know the meaning of the expression "ch-ching". I've heard it used in this context:

"These prices are pretty ch-ching".

Thanks a lot!

Mara.

PS: BTW, could anyone give me some guidelines regarding the pronunciation of this word / expression?

• riglos

Argentina - Spanish
    Hi badgrammar! Thanks for your quick answer. But, I still like to know, in this context, does it mean that the prices are high? This sentence was uttered in a restaurant, so could it mean that the restaurant / food is expensive?

Thanks a lot!

Mara.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    badgrammar said:
    Ch-ching!...the sound that old fashioned cash registers used to make...
    That's the real source, I think. Also, there's a hand gesture that goes with it, and the expression is a NYCism, with Little-Italy vibes.

So Vegas might figure in a little-- that hand gesture is suggestive of the old one-armed bandits. Don't forget that the expression doesn't usually refer to how expensive something is. It has more to do with a lucrative idea, hitting on something that pays off, like a slot-machine jackpot.

Also goes by ka-ching! U marrun'!

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
    Thanks foxfirebrand! And how would you use it in that conext? > "It has more to do with a lucrative idea, hitting on something that pays off, like a slot-machine jackpot." Could you give me some examples?

Thanks!

Mara.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    "Eh Tonio, I ain't seen you, whatchoo been doon?"
    "Liddle a dis, liddle a dat. Nuttin much."
    "I been makin book-- old man Bastavaggiùlo let me have Al Labolognese's precinct. Sout' side a Mulberry."
    "Whah, wid all dem sports bars fulla college kids?"
    "You goddit."
    "Ka ching! U marròn! Need any muscle?"

< Previous | Next >