"what is his line of work ?"

Moorland

English - England
I'm reading an interesting Swedish book about the war years and only just noticed after about 20 pages that there are no inverted commas at all in the whole book when someone is speaking.

For example instead of as in English "what is his line of work ?" it starts instead with just a dash....

-- Vad arbetar han med ? ....which is used all the way through the book ?

Seems a good idea to me as I really get fed up with having to insert them all the time "!"....

• Parlons Suédois

Swedish
    This usage of a dash (which I think is supposed to be an en-dash, but don't trust me on that...) is usually called “talstreck” or (more informally) “pratminus”.

Moorland

English - England
    Thanks is an en-dash always used in printed books ? Or a mixture of both or is there something alse....?

Parlons Suédois

Swedish
    Did you mean to ask whether dialogue is always indicated by dashes? In that case, the answer is that no, ordinary quotation marks are also used (though in Swedish typographic tradition, they are set 99-99-style, ”like this”, not 66-99-style “like this” as is in English). Usage is typically consistent within a book (though I am sure that it is possible to dig up a counterexample somewhere).

raumar

Norwegian
    In Norwegian, dialogue is usually indicated by dashes in fiction and journalism, while quotation marks generally is used in academic texts. That is maybe the general rule in Swedish as well?

< Previous | Next >