What is main subject and verb in the underlined sentence?

< Previous | Next >

sisse nar

Korean
This is from "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" by David F. Wallace.

"Nevertheless nolo to the charge that I spotted her on the blanket at the concert and sauntered car-nivorously over with an overtly one-night objective. And, having had some prior dealings with the Cruncher genus prior to this, that the one-night proviso was due mostly to the grim unimaginability of having to talk with a New Age brigadier for more than one night. Whether or not you approve I think we can assume you understand.'"

What is main subject and verb in the underlined sentence? Or what is the missing subject and verb?

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    As it stands, I don't think that there is a main verb. It would work it the 'that' was removed, then the main verb would become 'was', but I don't know if that's what was intended.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with Beryl: there isn't a main clause subject/verb in that sentence.

I assume the idea is:
    ... nolo to the charge
    (1) that I spotted her ... and sauntered carnivorously over with an overtly one-night objective
    (2) that the one-night proviso was due mostly to the grim unimaginability of having to talk with a New Age brigadier for more than one night.

< Previous | Next >