what is Oz. Avengers, Assemble? Another Parenthesis Question

< Previous | Next >

natasha_139

Chinese
Hi there,I read this sentence on Economist.com about a new 3D movie review.

"Mr Johnston’s stylish Captain America makes comicbook cinema a form of pop art. By the time the hero isthawed out in the present day,
the Marvel Universe has become as vivid onscreen as Hogwarts or Oz. Avengers, assemble!"

Could anyone tell me what's the use of "assemble" (underlined)? and What's the meaning of "Oz." here?

Thank you!​

• heypresto

English - England
    Hello

Oz is the land where the Wizard of Oz is Wizard of :), and where Dorothy and Toto met the Lion, the Tinman and the Scarecrow.

'assemble' here, is, I think, an imperative. It's calling (ordering) all Avengers to assemble. I don't know who the Avengers are though!

natasha_139

Chinese
    Hello

Oz is the land where the Wizard of Oz is Wizard of :), and where Dorothy and Toto met the Lion, the Tinman and the Scarecrow.

'assemble' here, is, I think, an imperative. It's calling (ordering) all Avengers to assemble. I don't know who the Avengers are though!
    Hi, heypresto. Thank you for your reply.
    In fact, I know what Oz. stands for. But when it is taken together with Avengers (referring to a group of sci-fi characters like Captain America, Batman, Thor, etc.), I am no idea what it means. Could you further explain it to me? Thanks beforehand.

Szkot

UK English
    The Avengers is set in an imaginary world; Hogwarts and Oz are two other imaginary worlds.

According to the Wikipedia article about the Avengers, ' The team is famous for its battle cry "Avengers Assemble!" '. The reviewer uses it to round off his review.

There is no direct connection between Oz and the Avengers.

Myridon

English - US
    In fact, I know what Oz. stands for.
    "Oz." stands for ounce - a unit of weight or volume. In the given sentence however, Oz is the name of a fictional country and the "." marks the end of the sentence. It does not say "... Hogwarts or ounce Avengers, assemble."

pob14

American English
    The others are correct. It's not "oz." here; that period is there just to end the sentence. It's Oz, as in the children's book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, more famous nowadays for the 1939 film version.

It's saying that, in the new Captain America film, the Marvel Universe (of which Captain America is a part) is made as vivid - as exciting and lifelike -as Harry Potter's universe and the Oz universe are in those films.

The author then simply uses a catchphrase from the Avengers, a group of superheroes of which Captain America is a member (the subtitle of the film is The First Avenger), to show how excited he is by the film. Had he been talking about an old Superman film, he might have said, "Up, up, and away!" because that used to be Superman's catchphrase. He was talking about an Avengers film - this movie is going to be followed in a year or so by a movie with all the Avengers - so he's using their catchphrase.

Last edited:

natasha_139

Chinese
    The others are correct. It's not "oz." here; that period is there just to end the sentence. It's Oz, as in the children's book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, more famous nowadays for the 1939 film version.

It's saying that, in the new Captain America film, the Marvel Universe (of which Captain America is a part) is made as vivid - as exciting and lifelike -as Harry Potter's universe and the Oz universe are in those films.

The author then simply uses a catchphrase from the Avengers, a group of superheroes of which Captain America is a member (the subtitle of the film is The First Avenger), to show how excited he is by the film. Had he been talking about an old Superman film, he might have said, "Up, up, and away!" because that used to be Superman's catchphrase. He was talking about an Avengers film - this movie is going to be followed in a year or so by a movie with all the Avengers - so he's using their catchphrase.

Thank you,pob 14. Now I got the meaning between the words.

< Previous | Next >