what is should do

rumistar

Korean
Hello everyone:)

I was reading a script for learning new expression and found a somewhat odd sentence.
To me (as a non-native english speaker), the sentence I found looks unusual.

Please take a look at this sentence:
Helen: That sounds like my phone! So if something isn't doing what is should do then it's misbehaving?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/language/theenglishwespeak/2011/10/111011_tews_40_play_up_page.shtml

I've never seen that kind of sentence structure "be" verb + should + verb "do".
For all I know, "should" is used as auxiliary verb as below
"Children should be allowed to use their mobile phones."

Q. In the example, Is "should" not used as auxiliary verb but used as an expression of obligation or expectation with "do"?
(I wonder if "should" and "do" function as verbs in this example.)
Or did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance :)

• Gwan

New Zealand, English
    It's just a typo. They mean "doing what it should do" (and if you listen to the audio, that is what she says, although it's not very clear). They really should double-check spelling and grammar on a site for people learning English :)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is a misprint!

So if something isn't doing what is should do then it's misbehaving? :cross: = So if something isn't doing what it should do then it's misbehaving? :tick:

I have reported the mistake. :thumbsup:

rumistar

Korean
    It's just a typo. They mean "doing what it should do" (and if you listen to the audio, that is what she says, although it's not very clear). They really should double-check spelling and grammar on a site for people learning English :)
    Aha!:) Thanks a lot, Gwan.
    I can't thank you enough.:)

rumistar

Korean
    It is a misprint!

So if something isn't doing what is should do then it's misbehaving? :cross: = So if something isn't doing what it should do then it's misbehaving? :tick:

I have reported the mistake. :thumbsup:
    Thank you so much, PaulQ :)

< Previous | Next >