What is standard support in this context?

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
Hi people!

I was reading a chart describing an Operating System (Mac OS X) when I came across this phrase:"standard support". Under this heading it read: advanced-PDF, Open GL, Quicktime.

If I were to write a similar description of Windows XP, what could I include under the heading "standard support"? Would it be correct to write Windows Media Player and DirectX?

I really need this information, so I'd aprreciate it if you could give some suggestions.

Thanks a lot!

Mara.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Greetings Mara,

I'm an OS X user, so if you will direct me to the specific place where you found the phrase "standard support" I'll be glad to have a look before attempting a reply.

Regards,
    Cuchuflete

PD- as a generality, standard often implies the support provided for a product, including software, without the payment of a service contract or other charge.

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
    Hi Cuchuflete and thanks for your willingness to answer!!

Ok, let me expand a little bit on this topic, then. I'm an English teacher and I'm making an exam for my IT students. In the book we're working with, there's a chart with information about different Operating Systems. The aim of the exercise is that students write a description of these Operating Systems based on information from the table. You'll find the table in the attachment.

Then, the description reads:

Mac OS X is a Unix-based operating system designed for use on Apple Mac computers. It includes memory-protection, pre-emptive multitasking and symmetric multiprocessing support. Graphics are provided by a graphics engine known as Quartz. It has advanced-PDF standards support, OpenGL and Quicktime integrated into the OS. The operating system features are accessed through a graphical user interface called Aqua.

Now, I am supposed to create a new table (similar to the one I attached) to include in the exam. As you may imagine, I'm having quite a hard time doing this, since I'm an English teacher and no expert in these topics. I decided the table to be about Windows XP, that's why I asked you about "standard support" for Windows XP. If you could help me out here, I'd be really reeeeaaaally grateful!

Regards,

Mara.

Attachments

• Table.doc
      28 KB · Views: 107

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Mara,

I did some hunting around, and it turns out that "standard support" as used by Apple Computer refers to hours of support availability for a paid service plan. It is the lower level, with additional payment and a higher level contract required for the 24X7 support of all applications.

OpenGL (there is no space!) is a graphics engine, and quicktime is a video player. The support includes these, as they are included with the OS.

If you want your students to create a WindowsXP equivalent, the names of the applications really don't matter...they can be invented. Windows media player may correspond more or less to Quicktime, but, so what?
    If the point is to practice English, rather than IT, they may as well invent a fictional OS and components.

Further, from my highly prejudiced viewpoint, the combination of the words Windows and support is an oxymoron!

I'll have a look at the table, and then perhaps I'll eat my words!

Un saludo,
    Cuchu

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hmmm...seems like a very strange English exercise, but I'll accept that some
    schools have arcane pedagogical notions.

Mac OS X
    Type Unix-based
    Computer Apple Mac
    Features Memory-protection,
    Pre-emptive multi-
    tasking, symmetric
    multiprocessing
    support
    Graphics engine Quartz
    Standard Support Advanced-PDF,
    OpenGL, Quicktime
    User interface type GUI
    User interface Aqua
    Source code availability Not available

There is an error here, in that OS X, as well as Linux, offers a Unix command line interface in addition to GUI

Here are some possible Windows equivalents...more should be available from Benjy and the other Gatesware experts:

WindowsXP

Type Microsoft proprietary
    Computer Intel-based processors
    Features (whatever the MS website claims!!)
    Graphics engine XXXXX
    Standard Support (whatever the MS website claims!!)
    User interface type GUI
    User interface I believe this is not a named component in the MS world
    Source code availability Not available

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Just a small afterthought: none of this discussion really belongs in this forum, but unless some stiff-necked moderator comes along to spoil our fun, we just might get away with it.

Thanks for looking the other way, Tim and Panj.:D

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
    Hi Cuchu! And thanks a million!! Well, let me tell you that it isn't such a strange exercise considering the fact that these are in-company lessons, my students work for an IT firm and they are software developers. Let's call it "English for specific purposes", if you wish. Now, my table for Windows XP looks somewhat different from yours, but I'd rather not post it here for fear that my students may see it. This may seem rather paranoid but it's a final exam, after all!! So, may I send you an email to check my exercise is fine?

Thanks, cuchu!

Mara.

Nick

USA, English
    It looks like "standard support" here is referring to things that the operating system supports "by default" or "out-of-the-box". For example, Mac OS X comes with QuickTime and a PDF viewer.

BTW, the "name" of the user interface in Windows XP is Luna.

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
    Oh Thanks a million, Nick! That's what I had written after looooooooong hours of investigation. So, what would you suggest to include under "standard support" for Windows XP? Would Windows Media Player and DirectX be correct?

Thanks again, Nick!

Mara.

Nick

USA, English
    This seems like a weird title for a heading, so I would just follow their example. :)

Yes, that's exactally what I would put -- the Microsoft equivilants of QuickTime and OpenGL.