what is the English equivalent of the passé composé?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Agnès E.

France, French
    The French passé composé is similar (in building) to the English present perfect. Both are past tenses.

This is a free learning site that could help you to practise French grammar.

Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
    "passé composé" translates both English tenses. I am sorry to say there is no straightforward equivalence between French and English tenses.

Thus, both "it has rained" and "it rained last night " would be translated into : il a plu

arianepetite

Taiwan
    Thank you two!
    Got it:cool:

Jean-Michel Carrère said:
    "passé composé" translates both English tenses. I am sorry to say there is no straightforward equivalence between French and English tenses.

Thus, both "it has rained" and "it rained last night " would be translated into : il a plu

gian_eagle

Peru - Castellano
    by the way, the past progressive/continuous "i was verb + -ing" is the same as l'imparfait "j'étais"????

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Sometimes. Other times, the imparfait can translate the simple past, or the verb phrase "I used to + infinitive".

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Hello Dahlerup177 and welcome to the forums! :)

No, they are not the same. The English present perfect – just like the passé composé in French – is constructed with have as auxiliary verb (conjugated in the appropriate person), followed by the past participle of the verb, e.g., It has rained = Il a plu.

Anyway, I'm afraid this thread is very old and no longer complies with our forum's requirements – the topic is way too broad to be discussed in a single thread and we already have many threads discussing specific usages of the passé composé. This thread is therefore closed.

You may also want to have a look at our grammar resources for general grammar topics.

If you have a question about a specific usage of the passé composé, in a precise example, you are welcome to open a new thread.

Best regards,

Maître Capello

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >