what is the polite version of "you guys" [direct address]

kazuy

Japanese
Dear All,

I wondered how I should call two or more people in like business situation.
I assume "you guys" is too casual in a business situation.

Please let me know, if there are any proper words or phrases.

Thank you,

• Charlyfio

UK
    Enlgish - UK
    could you not simply say 'you'? if you're in a room with more than one person and you're speaking to all of them, they will know that you are referring to all of them when you say 'you'
    (that is a lot of yous in my sentence!! hope it makes sense!)

Niblib

English - Australia
    could you not simply say 'you'? if you're in a room with more than one person and you're speaking to all of them, they will know that you are referring to all of them when you say 'you'
    (that is a lot of yous in my sentence!! hope it makes sense!)

or perhase, depending on the sentance, you all/both of you

kazuy

Japanese
    To Charlyfio,

Sometimes, I want to make it clear that I am tolking/asking to not only the person in front of me or the person I have been talking but also other people.

So, in that case, I could say "you all" or "both of you"?

Thank you all! :)

Niblib

English - Australia
    you is also a plural. so just you is perferctly acceptable
    e.g
    I'd like to thank you for coming,
    i'd like to thank you all for coming.
    depends what you feel like, it's interchangable

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    In a business meeting, non-verbal clues are also important. If you turn slightly toward the center of the room and raise your gaze while saying "you", everyone will know that you are addressing the whole group. There will also be contextual clues in the rest of what you say.

As Niblib says, you can sometimes say "you all" or "all of you", but not always.

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Dear All,

I wondered how I should call two or more people in like business situation.

Please let me know, if there are any proper words or phrases.

Thank you,

Yes, you can: "My esteemed (business) colleagues/partners", "You (all)", "Ladies and Gentlemen," "Mister X/Miss B/Mrs. Z": (you could do that if there are just a few people)

Last edited:

shawnee

English - Australian
    As there are a number of possibilities depending on the situation, a sample sentence would help. You might be in a situation where you ask everyone to follow you into the hall for light refreshments.

Elwintee

England English
    Yes, you can: "My esteemed (business) colleges/partners", "You (all)", "Ladies and Gentlemen," "Mister X/Miss B/Mrs. Z": (you could do that if there are just a few people)

I think people would be surprised to be addressed as 'colleges' rather than 'colleagues'! In BE, if you are addressing men formally it would be quite usual to say "Gentlemen, please follow me / come this way / let's sit down..." Of course "Ladies and gentlemen..." does very well in the appropriate circumstances.
    I would definitely omit the 'esteemed' bit, which sounds both false and fulsome.

Last edited:

miss sparkles

English-USA
    This is great. Now I got to know many ways to say it.

Many thanks for to all of you.

To Charlyfio,

Sometimes I want to make it clear that I am talking to /asking to not only the person in front of me or the person I have been talking to but also other people.

So, in that case, I could say "you all" or "both of you"?

Thank you all! :)

Dear All,

I wondered was wondering how what I should call two or more people in like business a business-like situation.

Please let me know if there are any proper words or phrases.

Thank you,

I love when people correct my Spanish, so here are a few suggestions in case you like when people correct your English too! A few are not grammatical errors, just ways to make it sound more natural.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    To my Michigan ears, "you all" has the possibility of sounding like an AE southern drawl.

ex. "Y'all..."

Depending on specific circumstances, I'd suggest, "All of you" in place of it.

However, it's possible even this might not be the best choice sometimes.

Please, if you can, give us some examples of the business situation you're wondering about.

AngelEyes