What is the process of 덧술 in making alcoholic drinks?

< Previous | Next >

moondeer

English--American
Naver Korean dictionary offers this: 술의 품질을 높이기 위하여 밑술에 넣는 술밑이나 술밥. 곡물, 물, 누룩을 혼합하여 만든다. When I read this, I think "add-ins" in English because you're adding yeast or another ferment (술밑) and/or grains, water, nuruk (doesn't this count as a 술밑?) to raw spirits/liquor (밑술). I don't know much about brewing or distilling alcohol and the jargon used in that field.
My question is how you would translate 덧술? Does anyone know the actual English jargon used for this in making alcoholic drinks?
Thanks

• moondeer

English--American
    I found the answer, from comments on a thread on homebrewtalk.com (in case anyone is interested):
    "Another important factor is feeding makgeolli with multiple rounds of cooked glutinous rice after fermentation has really taken off. You start with one nuruk cake and proceed to add batches of cooked glutinous rice after each peak in fermentation has occured. This first addition is called mitsool and all subsequent stages are known as dotsools. Depending on your recipe you have any where from one to four (sometimes even more) dotsools. In each one of these stages, the initial wild microflora found on the nuruk cake is forced to adapt to the increasing amounts of ethyl alcohol and lower pH created by LAB. This is what makes the process sanitary and clean. It's like the multiple feedings in maintaining a sourdough culture and keeps the culture strong and in log growth phase."

< Previous | Next >