what is the status of the resolution

dikom

Italiano/Vèneto - centrale
Hi,

I have to ask a co-worker how is it going the resolution of a certain issue, what is the "status" of its resolution.

I only come up with wordy questions like:
"what is the status in the resolution of the issue?"

Could you suggest me a professional and concise way to make this question?

Thank you!

• Retired-teacher

British English
    "Where have you got to in the resolution of this issue" would convey your meaning in natural English. Another possibility is "What stage have you got to in the resolution of this issue".

dikom

"Where have you got to in the resolution of this issue" would convey your meaning in natural English. Another possibility is "What stage have you got to in the resolution of this issue".
    And without referring to a person in particular (the issue is getting resolved by an entire team), is it correct to say "What is the stage in the resolution of the issue?" or "Could you update me about the stage in the resolution of the issue?"?

Thank you!

Retired-teacher

British English
    Either of my first two suggestions (particularly the second) would convey the same idea in more natural English. They both ask what stage in the process the person or team has got to. "Would you update me about this issue" would also do.

Retired-teacher

British English
    There is one further point I should have mentioned earlier. In English we only talk about the "resolution of an issue" if there has been some argument or dispute about it. "Has it been resolved" then means have the two sides come to an agreement about it.

It does not merely mean that something has been finished.

Did your situation involve a dispute?

dikom

Thank you for the further explanation.
    My situation doesn't involve a dispute, it's about something that doesn't work since quite some time and many people are working to repair it. I wanted to ask an update.

I chose your suggestion: "Would you update me about the issue?".

Alternatively, is it suitable to use "What is the standing point of the issue?"? I have heard some people using it, but I'm not sure it's correct.

Thanks!

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I have to ask a co-worker how is it going the resolution of a certain issue, :cross:
    I have to ask a co-worker how the resolution of a certain issue is going, :tick:

Could you suggest me a professional and concise way to make ask this question?

"How is the resolution of <name of the issue> going?"

"How is the resolution of <name of the issue> coming along?"

"How is the resolution of <name of the issue> progressing?"

dikom

No, I'm afraid that doesn't sound like natural English.

P.S. Sorry about the late reply. I've been away all day.
    Thank you so much for the help!

I have to ask a co-worker how is it going the resolution of a certain issue, :cross:
    I have to ask a co-worker how the resolution of a certain issue is going, :tick:

Could you suggest me a professional and concise way to make ask this question?

"How is the resolution of <name of the issue> going?"

"How is the resolution of <name of the issue> coming along?"

"How is the resolution of <name of the issue> progressing?"
    I will definitely be more careful! Thank you, also for the suggestion with "resolution" :)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Questions about "issues" and "resolving" them all seem a bit aloof and management-speakish. Sometimes it's better just to ask a straight and simple question like "How soon are we going to be able to use this bloody machine again?"

dikom

Questions about "issues" and "resolving" them all seem a bit aloof and management-speakish. Sometimes it's better just to ask a straight and simple question like "How soon are we going to be able to use this bloody machine again?"
    We use English as a lingua franca, since we are an international team. The purpose of my question was getting an update. Thank you for the suggestion!

< Previous | Next >