What is the synonym for "I argue that ..."?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Bonggubi, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Bonggubi

Bonggubi Member

Japanese
    Hi folks

In new media, I can hear a lot of people saying "I argue that .." I looked it up and found out that it means "give reason for your statement?"

For example,
    - Mr. Trump appeared to side with pro-Brexit critics who argue that by keeping many of the European Union’s economic rules, it would inevitably reduce the scope for a separate trade deal with the United States.
    - Supporters of Brexit argue that one of the key advantages of quitting the European Union would be that it would leave Britain free to strike trade deals around the world.

To me, it sounds like 'argue that' is used to give your opinion on something. Therefore, I'm guessing 'I argue that' can be interchanged with ''I would say~" or "I believe". But it's just my feeling and guess.

I would like to know if they are pretty much the same expression and can be used interchangeably. And if there's any difference in terms of nuance and meaning.
    Please explain them to me, I would appreciate it. :)

2. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    It involves giving reasons, yes, but It's a little more than that.
    I argue that... means My argument is that...
    People argue with each other when they have conflicting opinions about something and are each trying to convince the other that they are right, or trying to prove that the other's wrong.

3. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    "I would say" and "I believe" are much weaker.

There is no simple equivalent, perhaps "maintain" or "propose" are closest; also "take the position that."
    To get an equivalent, however, you'd need, "propose, with good reasons" or "I maintain, on solid grounds," or some such.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  4. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    "Claim" is quite a good synonym.

5. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    Yes, indeed; though again, "I claim, with good reasons (which I will now give), that" [or some such]would be necessary to get closer equivalence.

6. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I spend very little time in 'new media', so I can't say very much about that environment. Outside 'new media', I don't hear native speakers make assertions or state their beliefs by saying "I argue that ...". I could not replace "I believe ..." with "I argue that ...".

7. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    Good point. Outside of academia and the courtroom, "I argue that..." is not common. BUT someone wishing to do more than state a belief, would say something like "I think that X, and have good grounds (or evidence) for saying it (which I'll now review)...."

8. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Ah, I didn't notice that the question was about using the verb in the first person. For the two quoted texts, X argues that..." is unremarkable. I think I've seen people using " I would argue that..."

9. Bonggubi

Bonggubi Member

Japanese
    Thanks! I thought saying "I believe ... ” is much stronger than saying "I argue that"! It's really difficult for to me tell the level of intensity of what natives say!

10. Bonggubi

Bonggubi Member

Japanese
    Thanks guys all of you!

Just add an additional question since I have been looking for an equivalent expression to "I would argue .."

Does it sound pretty much the same as "I think .. "? if there is anything different, perhaps, "I would argue that.."
    can be slightly more polite than ”I think"?

Hope anyone could give me an answer for this one! ^^;

11. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    It also depends on intonation. Said in a certain way, "I believe..." can come across as more confident than "I argue that..."
    That's difficult to answer because context and tone of voice make a difference.
    "I would argue that" needn't necessarily mean "My argument is that..." It could also refer to a hypothetical situation. If I were in that situation, I would argue that...